dcsimg

Thread: what to charge ??

Default what to charge ??

Put in one of those wireless 3 way switches for my landlord. Also had to replace 2 old standard switches to comtempera style to fit the 3 opening cover plate. What's this worth? What would an electrician charge for instance ?

I just ran your IP address and you appear to be in Ontario, Canada.. Is this correct?
    This makes a big difference. Also, if this is a commercial type building and not a house/stick built apartment complex then it would involve a commercial electrician and not a residential one. They both charge different rates.

Your labor would be comparable to a handyman/apprentice rate. I typically charge $25-40/ hr USD for most types of labor when I rented. Calling someone out would involve travel/trip charges, minimal billing time (most charge minimum 1 hour), and possible billing at a journeyman (or the Canadian equiv)/professional rate. (You usually don't hire a master electrician to replace a switch).

I would probably stick within the Canadian equiv of $25-40/hr. Ideally, you should have negotiated this in advance. They could have been expecting to offer you more (or even less).

This is a random google hit, but for the US.. You may be able to find a Canadian version of this chart.
    http:/www.pas1.com/pdf/srate.pdf
    This is our 'old' outdated board. It is no longer supported, but we will still respond to posts.

Please join us on our new board: http://www.ez-forums.com!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I just ran your IP address and you appear to be in Ontario, Canada.. Is this correct?
    This makes a big difference. Also, if this is a commercial type building and not a house/stick built apartment complex then it would involve a commercial electrician and not a residential one. They both charge different rates.

Your labor would be comparable to a handyman/apprentice rate. I typically charge $25-40/ hr USD for most types of labor when I rented. Calling someone out would involve travel/trip charges, minimal billing time (most charge minimum 1 hour), and possible billing at a journeyman (or the Canadian equiv)/professional rate. (You usually don't hire a master electrician to replace a switch).

I would probably stick within the Canadian equiv of $25-40/hr. Ideally, you should have negotiated this in advance. They could have been expecting to offer you more (or even less).

This is a random google hit, but for the US.. You may be able to find a Canadian version of this chart.
    http:/www.pas1.com/pdf/srate.pdf
    Yes I am in the Toronto area. It was a residential house.
    I did some other work as well ( such as intalling a lock set and painting a door ) and charged $125. Very reasonable I thought.

Thread Information