dcsimg

Thread: Shingle and Drip FLashing Question

Default Shingle and Drip FLashing Question

I had a new roof put on several years back and gutters a bit before that. Every since new roof, I can't clean my gutters as easily because they didn't trim the shingles and have them overlapping the gutters over a quarter of the gutter. Also the gutters do not have enough pitch and fill up and spill out during heavy rain as you can see evidence of in the pictures.

So I was going to trim the shingles with a utility knife and re-hang the gutters with more pitch, about 1 inch for 20 feet I'm thinking. Right now it's about half an inch.

However, it looks to me like the drip flashing over the gutters and over the gutter nails was bent up to fit over the gutter nails. Also it looks like the flashing is sticking out of the edge of the roof so much it's almost even with shingles so would not be able to trim them.

Is this correct and if so, how is the best way to rehang, should I put the new gutter nails/screws through the flashing on the high side so there is room to raise it?

Please look at these pictures and let me know if this is done right and how can I best go about removing and rehanging the gutters with the drip edge this way.

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_084240-sm.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	316.2 KB 
ID:	5121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_084246-sm.jpg 
Size:	359.7 KB 
ID:	5123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_084253-sm.jpg 
Size:	370.3 KB 
ID:	5125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_084258-sm.jpg 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	5127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_084303-sm.jpg 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	5129  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_084307-sm.jpg 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	5131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_084236-sm.jpg 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	5119  
    Last edited by bilbrelb; September 7th, 2015 at 11:06 AM.
    Larry

A flat gutter will still drain. Unobstructed water will level itself. Unless the downspout connector is higher then another part of the gutter it shouldnt overflow. If you have alot of stuff like leaves, caulking/sealant, single aggregate etc in the gutter it could slow down the movement of water. Gutter slope is similar to drain slope. Too much or too little and the moving water wont pull leaves and such along with it. If the gutters worked in the past and are not sagging, I would not mess with them.

Where is it overflowing? All over or just 1 area? Water coming down the slope of your roof too fast can make it jump the gutter, your roof looks pretty typical. A tall roof needs larger gutters. What is that downspout into the gutter draining? Again, if the gutters worked in the past and nothing else changed, it's probably not a gutter issue.

Your shingles do not appear to overlap too far from the angle of your pics. It's hard to tell though. You want some overlap, but too much and your water plays evel knievel.

The drip edge over the nail is typical when a roof and drip edge was replaced when the gutters are not. Quicker to give it a smack with a hammer or bend it back with pliers then to notch it out (and likely bleed all over it). You wont normally see it. The new drip edge may have a taller front face then the old did or it was nailed through.

You can ask your roofer to come and look at it. If it wasnt too long ago they may trim it for you or charge minimally. Often approaching someone for a workmanship issue that has existed for a long time doesn't get very far.
    This is our 'old' outdated board. It is no longer supported, but we will still respond to posts.

Please join us on our new board: http://www.ez-forums.com!

Thanks for the reply.
    The gutter seems to have been overflowing for a while now. I think it gets leafs in it and clogs and before I can get up there to clean it, we have downpours which cause to overflow only in the one area above window and basement window well. it then sags. I replaced the nails with screws to make it stronger but still over flows. If overflows right above window well for basement and causes water in the well. I know you can have too much pitch but the way it is now, even with it cleaned out, water stands on the left side in the gutter. It seems like even small debris gets stuck because it doesn't move fast
    enough.

They put those cheap screens over them but all the oak tree stuff just clogged those up and the water ran over them. So I removed them. I need to find something better but the gutter helmet stuff is just way to over priced that I can afford. Course I know it's cheaper int he long run if it prevents water issues.

The down spout going into the gutter is from the roof above it. It is a split level and so the lower roof runs one way and the upper another. When they put in the upper gutter, the perpendicular roof caused it to be high in the middle (See pic). The old gutter had downspout on both ends, front and back of house, of this upper gutter but the new one is only on one end (back). So the other end just fills and over flows in the front of the house. They had this back down spout emptying across the shingles in back but since it was going across them horizontally, I was afraid the water would get under the shingles so I emptied it into the lower gutter which is how the hold gutters were setup.

Because of the way they did the top gutter, I do not have confidence in the installer and is why I'm questioning the way it is.

Here are more pictures. The shingles don't go so far as to over shoot the gutters but trying to get my gutter scoop in them doesn't work too well with these like it did the old since it doesn't fit.

Thanks.

THe pic with the house showing, the water pours over above the right window of the set on the left. Just left of the power line entrance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_141525[1].jpg 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	5133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_141549[1].jpg 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	5135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_141559[1].jpg 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	5137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_141602[1].jpg 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	5139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_141611[1].jpg 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	5141  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_141618[1].jpg 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	5143   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150907_141636[1].jpg 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	5145  
    Larry

Thread Information