dcsimg

Thread: inspection needed for a single outlet

Default inspection needed for a single outlet

I want to add an outlet in my garage, for a garage door opener.

Do I have to get an inspection for this?

Or can I get a licensed electrician to do this and not pay for an inspection?

I am selling the house, so I will probably need to say something, as the seller disclosure wants to
    know about any changes in the wiring.

usually not for something small like a single outlet. If you live in a strict county that has restrictions on who can do electrical work you are probably safe.. You can call your code office to confirm.
    This is our 'old' outdated board. It is no longer supported, but we will still respond to posts.

Please join us on our new board: http://www.ez-forums.com!

It depends on your locality. Here, I can not add any new outlet or device without a permit (that is considered extending a circuit, which is new work). And any new item added has to meet current code which can really add cost. If the room requires AFCI protection, adding that new receptacle outlet would require an AFCI breaker. Currently, garages aren't on the AFCI list. But all receptacles in garages now require "readily accessible" GFCI protection. If you need a ladder to reset the GFCI, it isn't readily accessible. So hopefully you have an existing GFCI protected circuit you can extend to the garage opener.

Getting a licensed electrician does not alleviate the requirement for a permit (and many of them don't pull permits even though they are required to). He could pull the permit for you and deal with the inspector. This will just add to your cost. You could get the permit and deal with the inspector, but if you can't answer his questions effectively then it may be better to have the electrician deal with it as the only increased cost is his time to file for a permit.

After saying all that, many people do electrical work without inspections all the time. It is easier to detect now however with colored NM cable and date stamping on materials. I stock piled older cable so its date stamp would pre date my ownership of the house. But I've used most of it up now...
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Default Thanks and remodeling limit

I called the inspector, and he said my county has a $1500 remodeling limit. Any more work than that, then it needs a permit.
    So a single receptacle is fine, according to him and my county,

Thanks for your information!

Thread Information