dcsimg

Thread: 2 inspections

Hybrid View

Default 2 inspections

Hi all,
    Attempting to buy a new house. I had a septic inspector come out. He said field was bad. He did not do a dye test, did not pump the tank. He opened the tank and said tank and baffle looks good but field is bad based on a couple of spots of bare grass--said must have been leaching there. I really feel he did a poor job and just pretty much visually inspected it. I honestly feel he is trying to get business of a new field. Also his complete report to me was three sentences long in an email.
    The sellers said no way it is bad, hired their own inspector and he pumped the tank out and seems to have done a good job creating a nice report and all.
    So here is my dilemma--one inspection says good and one says it was bad. Should I get a tie breaker, what would you all do?
    Thanks

Default Inspections

Read both of the reports carefully if you found any clue which one is suspicious.
    Then for the confirmation get a new inspection from third party.

When having an inspection done for a sale of property, you can often get mixed answers about the septic condition. If the only reason he believed the absorption area was failing was due to some bare spots, then i'm not sure if I would trust his judgement.

Typically when we perform a septic inspection, our first course of action is pretty much a visual look over. If we see indications of system malfunction, then we move onto the proceeding steps.

Some of the major signs of a failing system are the following. Lush green grass over absorption area, wet or damp spots, sewer smell, high water level in tank, or water sewage surfacing, slow drainage or backup of toilets, sink, etc.

If we see a sign of system malfunction during an inspection, we usually opt out of pumping the tank due to cost, if the system has obvious failure, there is no point in servicing the tank and charging the customer for it.

As for bare spots in the grass, this typically is not a sign of system malfunction, unless the areas that are bare of highly saturated with water to the point the grass dies. On 99% of occasions we usually see lush green grass or wet spots on a failing system.

I can't give you a definitive answer without actually seeing the situation and evaluation it, but in my opinion if the first inspector didn't do any further investigation such as proving the "bare" spots to see if moisture or stone was present, then I would bet my money on the second inspection. However, if you are still on the fence, then hiring a third inspector should get you the answer you are looking for.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Thread Information