dcsimg

Thread: Circuit Breaker help

Default Circuit Breaker help

I Live in the USA and I am a Computer Repair Tech. and I am in School to be an Electronics Tech.

I need just a little help understanding AC Power.

I know the Transformer outside the House gives 3. Wires to the Circuit Breaker Box.

the 2. Wires from the Transformer are for the 2. Hot Rods in the Circuit Breaker Box.

And the Transformer has a Wire coming from the Center of it this is what is the White Neutral Wire in the Circuit Breaker Box.

And I do know that if you use just the Black and White wires you get 120 VAC.

And if you take 1. wire from the Black Rod and 1. wire from the Red Rod you get 240 VAC.

I get all of this.

And I know the 2. Hot Rods in the Circuit Breaker Box are 120 VAC eatch. And they are both out of Phase with one another.

So if you use just the Black and Red Rod to get 240 VAC am I right that when the Black is Pasotive the Red is Negative then the next moment the Black with be Negative and the Red will be Posative.

And it does this 60 Times a SEC?
    Thanks

Your basic understanding is correct.
    Got Questions? Get Answers!!
    Ask our Team of Experts
    http://www.ez-forums.com

Default Thanks but one more thing

Ok so I do understand the Black and Red Rods in the Circuit Breaker Box go back and forth in Polarity.

When one Rod is Negative the other Rod is Positive then they will switch 60 times a SEC.

But if we take just one Black wire from the Black Rod and just one White wire witch is Neutral we get 120 VAC.

But the White wire comes from the Center Tap of the Transformer so it has ZERO Voltage.

So how does this work?

If we take both Black and Red we get 240 VAC because they are out of Phase with one another. So when one is Positive the other is Negative.

But when you use one White it has no Charge so how does this work?
    Thank you.

It works exactly the same. It only has zero voltage in reference to itself and ground if bonded to ground.
    Got Questions? Get Answers!!
    Ask our Team of Experts
    http://www.ez-forums.com

Thread Information