dcsimg

Thread: Garage foundation

Default Garage foundation

I am insulating my detached garage/workshop. It will only be heated when I am working out there but I might keep a small heater on when the temp really drops to take a edge off the extremes.

I have a ton of air coming in through my foundation which is open to the inside of the garage. I plan on attaching some treated wood to cover the rest of the top of the exposed block. I would like to do something to slow/stop the air from coming through the blocks before I cover things up. What are my options? Am I limited to just foam or would fiberglass be ok? I have a bunch of scrap pieces leftover from the walls.

It's a northern Ohio climate.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't think fiberglass does much to stop air flow (other than convection flow). I think you'd be best to just cover those openings with wood to stop the air infiltration. You could certainly foam it too, but you're going to need a lot.

Concrete has a low R value, so even filling the voids with styrofoam peanuts or fiberglass isn't going to do a whole lot because of the heat flow through the block. You'll get your biggest bang for the buck in stopping the air flow by covering the voids with wood or filling with cement or grout.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

I was planning on using a good bead of construction adhesive to fill in the low spots along the front edge of the block then set a board down and a few toenails in the back.

There's enough air moving through the blocks that it's making the cobwebs in them lift out of the blocks. Kinda odd with no daylight visible through the blocks and no visible openings anywhere.

Thread Information