dcsimg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combination Plug Switch

Default Combination Plug Switch

Hi,

Can someone provide me with a diagram or explanation on how to wire a combination plug switch outlet. I am taking an existing outlet with a power feed to it. I want to replace that outlet with the combination outlet to control a series of lights off the switch and have power leave the plug to another new plug.

Thank You.

Bret

Bret can you tell us what cables and wire colors are in the box a present and how they connect to the existing outlet?

Is this an end of run where you just have a black, white and bare ground and nothing else in the box?

Or does it have more than one cable or maybe it is a switched outlet where half the outlet is switched from a wall switch and the other half constant hot.

It is an end run. Black, White and Ground.

Bret

Ok is this what you have...

Yes that is it. I have power feeding into the outlet box and I want use that receptacle to switch a series of undercabinet lights, power the plug, provide ongoing power to another plug. Thanks..Bret
    Last edited by psczbug; August 30th, 2005 at 10:53 AM.

Turn off the power. Remove the outlet. You will need to bring two 14/2G or 12/2G cables to the box one for the lights and one for the other receptacle down stream. Match up the wire size dont mix wire sizes if its 14 awg use 14 awg etc.

You will notice two brass screws on one side of the combo device and a silver and brass on the other side. The silver screw will be associated with the receptacle plug half.

Connect the black incoming power wire (the original black in the box) with the black of the cable going to the downstream receptacle and a 6 inch black pigtail wire in a wirenut. Connect this pigtail to one of the brass screws on the side of the combo switch/recp that has two brass screws. It does not matter which one.

Take the black wire of the cable going to the lights and connect it to the brass screw on the side of the device that has the silver screw.

Take all the whites and a 6 inch white pigtail and put them in a wirenut connect the pigtail to the silver screw.

Do the same with the grounds and connect to the green screw on the combo device and the box if metal.
    Last edited by Roger; August 30th, 2005 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Roger, Thanks for the fast reply and excellent description. I think I got it. Bret

At the other end of the cables the lights will be black to black...white to white and ground to green wire or screw.

The down stream receptacle will be black to brass and white to silver. Ground to green screw.

Make sure you use the right size wirenuts or you will never gets the wires in the wirenuts securely. The package will tell you what size wires and how many will work with that particular wirenut. Do not reuse old wirenuts.

When you bend the loop on the wire be sure to put the end of the loop around the screw so that the screw tightens towards it. A clockwise direction.
    Last edited by Roger; August 30th, 2005 at 11:16 AM.

Bret I just noticed you mentioned undercabinet lights.. is this receptacle/switch replacing a kitchen countertop duplex receptacle or bathroom receptacle?
    Sorry I should have asked this earlier.
    There are special rules that govern bathrooms and kitchen countertops for adding any lights or receptacles.

Roger, This is replacing a plug for a refrigerator in a kitchen. The switch will be for undercabinet lighting and the plug will be for a microwave.

Thread Information