Thread: Drain tile system not working

Unregistered Guest

Default Drain tile system not working

I have a persistent problem with water seepage in one corner of a finished walkout basement. The problem appears to be associated with the water table, as there is good drainage away from the foundation on all sides. There is a drain tile system inside the foundation wall. Water drains to the sump, and the pump is functioning properly. I have inspected the drain tile with a sewer video camera, and the line is clear. It appears that the small plastic tubes that connect from the foundation wall to the drain tile were not installed in the area where the seepage is occurring. Could the solution be as simple as installing these tubes?

east of MrT, west of MDShunk, north of Jacksnap, south of Mr Fixit, eh

there should be a perimeter drain system outside the foundation.
    the block cavities could have water in them in that area...drill a hole in the block cavity at floor level.....have a shop vac ready that's able to handle water or a bunch of towels...
    some mornings i wake up grouchy...............others i let her sleep

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    I have a persistent problem with water seepage in one corner of a finished walkout basement. The problem appears to be associated with the water table, as there is good drainage away from the foundation on all sides. There is a drain tile system inside the foundation wall. Water drains to the sump, and the pump is functioning properly. I have inspected the drain tile with a sewer video camera, and the line is clear. It appears that the small plastic tubes that connect from the foundation wall to the drain tile were not installed in the area where the seepage is occurring. Could the solution be as simple as installing these tubes?
    How is the water getting in? Through the wall or between the wall floor junction?

Is the foundation pour concrete or block?

What part of the basement is this with respect to the walkout section?

I don't understand what "tubes" that you are talking about.

In an properly build basement you have the drain tile on the outside and drain tile on the inside and they are connect at a few places through the footing. Or those the "tubing" that you are talking about. Then foundation is damp or water proofed.

Normally the inside is tied to sump pit.

But as this is a walkout basement then realy there the outside drain should be extended out to daylight.

Gravity is much more dependable than a sump pump.

Now if this was a retro fit "french drain" system then it might not have any outside drains or damp proofing.

And if it is block wall the water can work into the block and small tubes are installed to drain that water out into the french drain.

If you think that the it might have or should have outside drain tile then start diging up at near the walkout parts of the basement.

You might find a burried drain pipe that was not extended out to daylight. DAMHIKT.

What is the age and location of the house?

Unregistered Guest

How is the water getting in? Through the wall or between the wall floor junction? Between the wall/floor junction

Is the foundation pour concrete or block? Block

What part of the basement is this with respect to the walkout section? Grade is 4" at this point sloping down to walkout level.

I don't understand what "tubes" that you are talking about. Tubes inserted in block to connect to drain tile

In an properly build basement you have the drain tile on the outside and drain tile on the inside and they are connect at a few places through the footing. Or those the "tubing" that you are talking about. Then foundation is damp or water proofed. As far as I know, there is no drain tile on the outside of the foundation.

Normally the inside is tied to sump pit. Inside is tied to the sump pit.

But as this is a walkout basement then realy there the outside drain should be extended out to daylight.

Gravity is much more dependable than a sump pump.

Now if this was a retro fit "french drain" system then it might not have any outside drains or damp proofing.

And if it is block wall the water can work into the block and small tubes are installed to drain that water out into the french drain. This is what appears to be missing in a small section of the block wall where the leak occurs.

If you think that the it might have or should have outside drain tile then start diging up at near the walkout parts of the basement.

You might find a burried drain pipe that was not extended out to daylight. DAMHIKT.

What is the age and location of the house? House built in 1991 in Minnesota.

Unreg #1> Is your block wall sealed/coated/painted? If not, is it damp/wet on the bottom few courses? If so, I would consider that another sign that your walls are full of water. It is seeping through just like those UGL displays at the store. Be prepared for some water when you punch through like XK suggested.

Unreg #2> A concrete block wall is hollow on the inside. These tubes connect each hollow channel to your drain tile to drain any water that seeps into the wall. IF you dont have them, your wall can fill with water and seep through.

Unregistered Guest

"Grade is 4" at this point sloping down to walkout level."

Did you mean 4" or is that is typo for 4' (ft).

If it is 4" definitly put in some external drainage.

But in any case I would start digging daylight end to see if there aren't drain tiles.

No guarantee, but a house of that age should have external drainage.

Thread Information