Thread: Solutions for ask search toolbar?

Default Solutions for ask search toolbar?

I'm troubled with ask search toolbar, it is difficult to get rid of it, i also ask this for help, someone give me a removal guide link, here But it requires to download sth, so can someone know whether it is reliable? , and my OS is windows 7, Please help!
    Last edited by Mr T; September 13th, 2013 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Moved by moderator to correct room.

First, is this really malware or a legit search "helper" bar?

If it's legit then the guides will not work.. There are fake search bars/helpers/websites that look like a real search engine and my have the name of a real one on it, but they take you to a "bad" site that gives you what results they want you to see. They may also push off more malware or viruses to you.

Start here...

It sounds like you are using IE for your browser. Go to start, control panel, internet options. There should be a programs tab, and in it is a manage addons or something similar button. I dont use IE so the above may not be right on. When the addons screen comes up you may see your search toolbar and probably a few others you do not recognize. Disable them at first and if you know it's something you dont need, you can remove them.

If the above doesnt work, (do this even if it does), run a malware check.. Most experts recommend at least 2 malware programs.. I personally use MalwareBytes and Spybot. Both are free (but have paid versions available). These are **WORTHLESS** if you do not keep the definitions up to date! Update them every time you use them. THey do not run automatically unless you add them to your scheduler or get a premium version. Run them often.

I highly sugggest using another browser like Chrome or Firefox. They are safer and will not auto install crap without your permission. Many malware infestations these days seem to come from IE (any version) and Java that is not kept up to date.. There has been alot of security breaches in Java latley. Uninstall it if you dont need it.

My sister-in-law has had the same problem as you and I uninstalled it about 3 times. Her grandson plays with it all time and when does I have get it off. The way I do it for my self is click on the start button then computer. At the top of the window install or uninstall a program click on it. go down the list and see if Ask is in there. If it is click on it and uninstall it. Just be careful and make sure you click on the right thing or you will uninstall something else.

If you do not have a start button go the programs and features and it will have a install or uninstall. A lot of downloads or updates have check boxes for other stuff like Ask or some other browser if you don't uncheck the boxes it will download all that other garbage.

Was going to say the same thing. I think I had this one once long ago and it was a legit install (probably snuck in as a freebie with some other download). Just go to control panel -> add/remove programs and look for it. Then reboot and see if it comes back. If it does, you may need to install a different browser, completely remove your existing browser, and then go get the latest version of your first browser you deleted (the same version may work, but old things that didn't really get removed may show up again).

MAKE SURE you don't delete your one browser without having another one that you've verified works, or you'll have to find a way to get downloads onto you computer with no surfing client (e.g. going to the library with a memory stick and copying the install package for firefox, chrome, etc, onto it). Really, you should have 2 browsers on your machine just in case one gets messed up or malwared.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

ASK is one of those tool bars that will install with free software. Sometimes you can stop it with a custom install. Be sure you don't just click yes or next to all prompts. Look for the check boxes to install this junk.
    McAfee is another one I see a lot trying to do this.
    Last edited by joed; March 7th, 2015 at 09:25 PM.
    Got Questions? Get Answers!!
    Ask our Team of Experts
    http://www.ez-forums.com

Yep, agree with previous answers, Java updates often try to sneak it in (but not every time), I think it's the second box that pops up during the Java update that gives you the option to uncheck the Ask toolbar install.

Thread Information