dcsimg

Thread: Pop up camper inside lighting

1. Default Pop up camper inside lighting

I have a 1993 StarCraft Starscream 1224 pop up camper. The inside lights will not come on. The air conditioner works. All the outlets work and the outside night lights work. I have check all the fuses (2) in the convertor and all is good. I have no clue can someone assist me please?

Thanks in advance,

KW <Semper Fi>

12 volt or 120 volt lamps?
    If 12 volt how do they get power? battery? power supply?
    Wiring issue where the camper bends to open and close?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by kwall139 View Post
    I have a 1993 StarCraft Starscream 1224 pop up camper. The inside lights will not come on. The air conditioner works. All the outlets work and the outside night lights work. I have check all the fuses (2) in the convertor and all is good. I have no clue can someone assist me please?

Thanks in advance,

KW <Semper Fi>
    If I understand your question right, I have the pop up camper in my driveway plugged into an outlet. The lights I'm speaking about our the ones that are attached to the ceiling.

Usually, these are 12V lights. But you need to do some basic troubleshooting in order for us to help. Would these lights normally work with no 120V power cord (that is do they normally work with battery power)?

Remove the cover and look at the light bulb. Does it look like an automotive tail light bulb or a household light bulb?

Look to see if the bulb is burned out (filament broken). You'll need a volt meter to go further unless you just want to replace the bulb to eliminate that possibility. Next is to measure the voltage at the bulb socket. It will either be 12 VDC or 120VAC. You need to be able to work a volt meter for that. If you get 0, then need to find the switch and see how it gets powered (many of these have the switch as part of the fixture or there could be a separate wall switch, so you pull the fixture down or switch from the wall and see if you're getting power on one side of the switch). If no power at all, then need to go back to the power supply (converter for 12V, breaker panel for 120V) and see if it is making any voltage for the wires leading to these lights.

When you say the outside lights work, are these the red and orange ones powered by the vehicle, or white ones for area lighting? Do the inside lights work if you plug the camper into a 12V tow vehicle (that should power the running lights and probably the inside ones too, but not sure). Is the battery good in the camper?
    Mark
    Kent, WA

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by suemarkp View Post
    Usually, these are 12V lights. But you need to do some basic troubleshooting in order for us to help. Would these lights normally work with no 120V power cord (that is do they normally work with battery power)?

Remove the cover and look at the light bulb. Does it look like an automotive tail light bulb or a household light bulb?

Look to see if the bulb is burned out (filament broken). You'll need a volt meter to go further unless you just want to replace the bulb to eliminate that possibility. Next is to measure the voltage at the bulb socket. It will either be 12 VDC or 120VAC. You need to be able to work a volt meter for that. If you get 0, then need to find the switch and see how it gets powered (many of these have the switch as part of the fixture or there could be a separate wall switch, so you pull the fixture down or switch from the wall and see if you're getting power on one side of the switch). If no power at all, then need to go back to the power supply (converter for 12V, breaker panel for 120V) and see if it is making any voltage for the wires leading to these lights.

When you say the outside lights work, are these the red and orange ones powered by the vehicle, or white ones for area lighting? Do the inside lights work if you plug the camper into a 12V tow vehicle (that should power the running lights and probably the inside ones too, but not sure). Is the battery good in the camper?
    There is no battery for the pop up camper. I never installed on. The light bulbs for the lights are those little one, I believe 12v #921, they pop in and pull out. The outside ones are the ones you turn on at night time by the steps.

If they are 12v that means 12 volts. There needs to be a 12 volt supply somewhere. That could be a battery, a power supply that plugs into 120 power, or the connection to your vehicle.

Thread Information