Thread: ISO-weather proof tent

Default ISO-weather proof tent

I am in search of a reasonably priced family tent that would be weather proof. I realize it is a tent and expect some level of rain inside, but was looking for feedback to what you have experienced. Looking for something with 2 rooms and possibly a screen porch. (that is what I have now and don't want to downsize) I was looking at the Coleman Weather Master 10...
    I was camping with a friend who borrowed a Big Agnes ($600+) tent from someone and we got caught in a down pour. His family was dry and my tent was taking on water.

If a "waterproof" tent is not set up correctly it will take on water.

With many tents you need to apply seam sealer to all the seams when they are new.. It's best to put a few coats on. Follow the instructions on the package. Many people forget about this.

The most important thing is proper placement of a drop cloth under the tent. It is important to have one with any tent. It keeps moisture from wicking through and makes cleanup after a rainy camping trip easier. Here is the important part.....This should not be visible anywhere outside of the tent. If it is, it will collect and channel water under your tent. Tent placement is also important, pitch it where water wont collect (made that mistake before) if rain is expected.

Just something to keep in mind with your existing tent. You might want to check both of these out. Ive camped with many many tents over the years and always did both of these... Never had any problems other then tents collapsing due to snow load...yeah, i'm one of those types.

LMAOOOOOOO at "snow load" on a tent roof....lmao.

I camp more in the winter then in the summer.. Snow can be a issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    I camp more in the winter then in the summer.. Snow can be a issue.
    Sorry for laughing, but it kinda hit a funny spot in the visual department waking up to 12" of snow on a pup tent.

Thread Information