dcsimg

Thread: Craftsman chainsaw will start, then dies

Default Craftsman chainsaw will start, then dies

It's a 42cc. It will start when very cold and run for 20-30 seconds. I've checked the muffler. I've checked spark. I've cleaned the carb(everything looked very clean, including the screen). It's a Walbro. I tightened the adjustment screws all in, then backed out 1-1/2 turns. If I try to give gas, it dies. The piston and cylinder looked good from what I could see when I had the muffler off. I'm at a loss. The carb was rebuilt last year and ran like a charm. The last time I used it I ran it dry for storage. It's new gas this time. What could the problem be?

Quote Originally Posted by biffula View Post
    It's a 42cc. It will start when very cold and run for 20-30 seconds. I've checked the muffler. I've checked spark. I've cleaned the carb(everything looked very clean, including the screen). It's a Walbro. I tightened the adjustment screws all in, then backed out 1-1/2 turns. If I try to give gas, it dies. The piston and cylinder looked good from what I could see when I had the muffler off. I'm at a loss. The carb was rebuilt last year and ran like a charm. The last time I used it I ran it dry for storage. It's new gas this time. What could the problem be?
    Hi Biffula, Sounds like a fuel issue still . Have you installed a carb kit?. The carb can be clean, but the diaphragms can still be dried out and not flexible. Just a thought.
    Tom
    Ontario, Canada.

There should be a small fuel filter down inside the tank, which is connected to your fuel supply line, sounds like its fuel starved. Not a big job, you will need somthing hooked to get it out. Hope this helps.
    MJ

Forgot to post originally, but I've checked the fuel lines, all in good shape. Fuel filter is new.

Here's the latest. I put a new carb kit in. It will start up and run full tilt, but as soon as I let off full throttle, it dies. I've tried adjusting the low idle to no avail.

Thread Information