dcsimg

Thread: Shark bite fittings

Hybrid View

Default Shark bite fittings

Has anyone had any experience good or bad with the shark bite fittings.I talked to a few customers at Home Depot who bought them previously and they say they are reliable.I can't find anything negative on these fittings. Also there is a product called Just for Copper which a coppper glue that supposedly takes the place of solder.Has anyone tried it ?
    Thanks

Trying to avoid soldering/sweating?

Sharkbite has been around a while but I think it started with PEX. I havent heard anything on their copper line. If this is going to be buried in a wall or sealed up, I would highly suggest doing your homework and going with something that is tried and true. (dont rely on word on the street (or the plumbing aisle)). I also wouldnt use them if the pipe can move.

In my opinion unless you are working in a area that you cant get a torch to or you cant stop the flow then solder is still the best route. You can find how to guides all over the net. Get a piece of scrap 1/2 or 3/4 pipe and some of T fittings (dont close off the pipe totally) and try a few connections first. You wont be able to test it but if you do it correctly it shouldnt leak.

The quick mechanical fittings are good for emergency repairs.

Default Shark bite Fittings

I was just asking,I've research them on the internet.I had a guy teach me how to solder and what to look for last year.I still practise in my garage occasionally.I just wondered if they were as good as the guys at HD say they are
    Thanks
    Last edited by Donjuan; August 10th, 2011 at 09:52 PM.

Of course they are pushing them. Look at their price vs traditional fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by Donjuan View Post
    ...I can't find anything negative on these fittings...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Of course they are pushing them. Look at their price vs traditional fittings.
    There's your negative! Shark bites are hidiously expensive compared to traditional sweat fittings. You are mainly paying for the convienience of not having to learn to sweat copper pipe (or pay for the required equipment).

FWIW, I've seen these things discussed in various forums before. All the pros that have never used them are always concerned that they MIGHT leak and always show concern for using them in concealed locations. However, I've never run across complaints that they have caused a problem. It's lead me to believe the only problem with them is that you pay through the nose for them. Me, on the other hand, learned to sweat copper and bought the required equipment back when I wanted to install a new hose bibb around the house. So I'm not going to pay the $$$ for a shark bite when I can spend $ and get job done the "old" way.

I've never seen or heard of one leaking (or pulling apart), yes they are expensive BUT if your after a quick repair or line cap or "T" for a new line etc... they work a treat, especially as you don't need to drain the line (or a shut off valve that isn't working well).
    Having said that, if we use them it's in crawlspace applications (sometimes copper or CPVC to PEX transitions) we always solder existing copper in walls.
    Kinda like the electrical junction box approach (cannot be enclosed in a wall "just in case" the connections come loose)

gator bites maybe a knock off but work good. 6$ plus change to go from 3/4 copper to 1/2 cpvc. both ends are slip and if you need to remove they sell a release tool similar to ac/fuel line quick release tools. i usually sweat fittings as this method has been around forever and does work. in a "add on" situation my bread goes toward the fitting not in the line

Default Shark Bites

I just remodled my laundry room and used shark bites to attach the copper to the faucet lines. They work great and have experienced ne leaks.
    But there is a negative to this product and its on the box. I dont remenber word for word but here it goes.

Shark bites should not be used where the water is to be ingested. This product contains cancer causing properties.

Default Teeth

The Initially shark bite is excellent with grip. But after some time the bite teeth have been loose their grip.

Thread Information