dcsimg

Thread: which trolling motor

Default which trolling motor

I am going to get a new bow mount trolling motor probably Monday and would like one of the new units with wireless, spot lock, jog and heading control using a built in GPS. I have Garmin sonar so do not need the sonar that comes with some of the units. I also understand that none of the trolling motors can be controlled from my Garmin.
    I have settled on 60" 24V 80 ft lbs of thrust or close to that for my 16 boat.
    The question is, which unit? I have watched the videos, hit all of the forums I can find with info on the newer Minn Kota and Motor Guide units and am tossed. I have had good luck with the Minn Kota, but these are a different animal than my old cable bow mount. I like that I can get the Motor Guide without the sonar and still get all the features I want.
    What say you, NWFishing Reports?

We finally got around to order our new trolling motor. We went with the new Minn Kota Riptide Ulterra 80#. If you want the improved spot lock, it was cheaper to go with the salt water version again which seems weird to me, but thats ok. We were going to go with the Terrova but decided we are getting old enough that the auto deploy and retrieve would be worht the extra cost.

Got another great deal from Brian at BBG Marine. Free shipping and no tax on top of a good discount. Ill let you all know how well the new spot lock works after we get it on and tested.

I read and read and read and read all the info and user reports I could find on all three brands in the models I am looking at. I skipped anything older than 2015 to avoid as much info on the older units as I could. I am certain some people were still talking about the older units even with that.
    What I got was all of their newest models do the same things and do it equally well. Build quality on the Minn Kota and Rhodan are slightly better than the Motorguide but they all have an issue once in a while. Everything does. You can order a micro remote 100 for the IPilot which looks like the other smallish remotes but the Terrova regular comes with the bigger one with a screen plus a foot pedal. Just make sure you are getting the latest Minn Kota and not an older model or the anchor mode will not be as good.

Thread Information