dcsimg

Thread: 160 Honda only runs with full choke

Default 160 Honda only runs with full choke

I just bought a barely used Troy Built 27 ton log splitter with a 160cc Honda OHV/OHC Engine. It looks almost new but apparently has been sitting a while. The gas had a very old, old, old smell to it. I drained the gas and sprayed carb cleaner in the carb. I also ran some carb cleaner through it while it was running. At first it would only run while I was spraying carb cleaner into the carb. After getting the old gas out, it will now run. The problem is, it will only run with full choke. If I partially disengage the choke, it will begin to run ruff and pop back through the exhaust. If I disengage the choke completely, it will cut off. Is this an issue inside the carb cause from sitting too long or something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The carb is probably clogged. It needs to be dismantled and cleaned.

Classic symtoms of clogged jets. You could try putting about two ounces of sea foam in the tank and then let it run on full choke for a while, then see if you can let off the choke. You will likley have a lot of smoke from the exaust while doing this. Other than that, the carb will need to be removed, dissasembled and cleaned with carb cleaner taking special care to clean all the small holes and passages.
    JMAC Small Engine
    Monmouth, Illinois

I will give the seafoam a try and let you know what happens. Thanks for the info!

After running the Seafoam gas for a bit let the unit sit. The Seafoam in the carb will work on the gunk. Run it again and see how it goes.

These new EPA/CARB style carburators have very small passages and are quite difficult to clean out.

http://www.css-club.net/honda/pp-ser...a/14z8a701.pdf

On page E-14 or 21, there is a breakdown for the carburator.

Ref #4 is the air/fuel mixture screw set. be sure to remove and clean this passage out.

Ref #16 is the cover screw for the low speed jet. It must be removed for cleaning.

Ref #11 is the insulator. I have found a few installed reverse/backwards where the "square" opening was facing the carburator instead of the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    After running the Seafoam gas for a bit let the unit sit. The Seafoam in the carb will work on the gunk. Run it again and see how it goes.

Did this and will run it some more when I get home this evening. I really appreciate the parts diagram. This will help greatly if I need to take it appart. I will keep you updated.

The jets are clogged/blocked, you need to take off the float bowl to access them, should be easy fix, drain out all the old gas in tank as well. Use fuel stabilizer in it the next time its stored for any period over a month.

Finally got a chance to pull the carb. The diagram in the link was a little different than mine but it was easy to disassemble. Cleaned out the passages with a wire brush bristtle, carb cleaner, and compressed air. Reinstalled carb and it runs great now. I really appreciate the good information! Thanks!

Thread Information