dcsimg

Thread: Prog. Thermostat w/ 3 wire zone valve

Unregistered Guest

Looking for help finding a programmable thermostat that will with my 3 wire zone valves. I can find several for a 2 wire valve, but can't locate one for a 3 wire.
    Ideas? Brands?
    Thanks.

You can use any programmable thermostat that you like if you wire your thermostat and zone valves like the diagram below. Post the manufacturer and model of your zone valves, and I can be more specific for your application.
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for your help, I appreciate you getting involved with this. I was under the impression I couldn't use a 2 wire valve, but if I can, great.
    Anyway, I've got two Taco brand valves, model #'s 571-2 and 572-2 (these are the only numbers I can see stamped on the valve). One is for downstairs and the other upstairs, and I'd like to add a programmable thermostat to both. Anything further you can provide about how to wire them up would be great. BTW, if it matters, the wires going to the valve are red, white and green.
    Thanks again.

Default How do you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by mdshunk
    You can use any programmable thermostat that you like if you wire your thermostat and zone valves like the diagram below. Post the manufacturer and model of your zone valves, and I can be more specific for your application.
    I'd be very curious to see how to wire those valves to make them work with a programmable thermostat. Every one I've seen is marked "not for use with 3 wire zone valves."
    Please, enlighten me mdshunk. Thanks

My wiring diagram disappeared from the last post. Here it is again. As you can see, the third terminal doesn't go to the thermostat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Unregistered Guest

Hello mdshunk,
    I have the same issue. Bought a Honeywell CT3650 and found out in the manual that it's not supposed to work with 3-wire zone valves. I have 2 zones with Taco 555-102 valves. Can you maybe explain to the layman exactly which wire color I can disconnect and if I lose any kind of functionality?

Many thanks in advance!

Default dgray

Do you have a wiring diagram for a White-Rogers?

Thanks You

Default White-Rodgers 3-wire zone valves to 2-wire thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
    Hello, do you have a wiring diagram for a White-Rodgers 3-wire zone valve (1311-102) to a 2-wire thermostat (Honeywell RTH230B)?

Thanks, Nick

Thread Information