dcsimg

Thread: Question about NEC code for welding circuits.

Default Question about NEC code for welding circuits.

I'm hoping one or more of you out there will be able to help out with a couple of questions I have.

Here is some background information about my situation. I just purchased a Hobart Handler 187 wire feed welder. I need to set up a circuit on which the welder can operate. Based on what I have read in the owner's manual, and what I have read on the internet I have come up with the following information.

This Hobart welder has an input amperage of 20.5A and a duty cycle of 30%. Based upon NEC 630-11(a) I can take that 20.5A and multiply it by .55.

So, 20.5A x .55 = 11.275A. Am I correct in interpreting this information to mean that I can use #14 or heavier wire for my circuit? I think this is correct (plus the owner's manual from Hobart says #14 is the minimum wire size allowable).

A second point is that 630-12(a) leads me to believe that in order to determine the correct size of circuit breaker I must not exceed 200% of "the rated primary current of the welder". Does that mean that I take the 20.5A and simply multiply it by 2?

If so, that would give 20.5A x 2 = 41A. I am interpreting this to mean that I cannot use a breaker that is larger that 41A for the circuit (assuming that I match that breaker with a suitable wire size).

At this point I am of the belief that I could run a suitable circuit using #10 wire and a 30A breaker using a 6-50 receptacle.

However, why could I not just wire up a circuit using #6 wire, a 50A breaker, and a 6-50 receptacle? In the future I may purchase a stick welder with 50A input. Could I use such a circuit so that I could plug either machine into the same receptacle? I think this would be less of a hassle than running two separate circuits. I was prepared to install such a circuit but then ran into 630-12(a) on several discussion forums.

Any thoughts, inputs, corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks.

I believe your math to be correct. I found it strange you determined you could use a #14 wire on a 40A circuit and then decided to go with 30A wire on a 30A circuit with a 50A receptacle...

There's nothing wrong with what you propose.

You may have a problem using the smaller welder on a 50A circuit -- that breaker may be too big for it. You could run a 60A feeder on #6 wire to a subpanel, then hang a 30A and 50A receptacle off of it using breakers of the same size. Then you could support both welders, but probably not both at the same time. I'd use 6-3 cable in the feeder so you have 120V available too should you ever need it.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

I believe your math to be correct. I found it strange you determined you could use a #14 wire on a 40A circuit and then decided to go with 30A wire on a 30A circuit with a 50A receptacle...
    I didn't find it strange seeing that the op has pulled most his info from other sites. For the most part I agree with suemark, yet what's new.
    Learning brings success. While you are waiting, I'm getting better!

Thread Information