dcsimg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kemore dehumidifier not removing water from air

Default Kemore dehumidifier not removing water from air

model

Coils are not frozen, bucket is bone dry. Unit powers up, fan works, humidistat appears to work fine, just no moisture removal for some reason.

I really don't want to replace this yet, it's only a couple of years old. Hoping I can fix it with your help, but I have no idea where to start.

During a cycle, do the coils get cold enough for water to condense?

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    During a cycle, do the coils get cold enough for water to condense?
    My guess is no since there is no water accumulating.

Hi,

Coils are not frozen, bucket is bone dry. Unit powers up, fan works, humidistat appears to work fine
    Does the compressor run?

An LG/Goldstar built Kenmore.

Coils are not frozen
    Any sweating, any frost, any ice?

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    www.applianceaid.com
    JRAppliance
    www.jrappliance.ca

Is the humidity high enough to energize the compressor? These new units run the fan continuously and only turn on the compressor when needed. I returned a brand new unit because of this feature. I don't want the fan running unless required. It's to noisy in the room.

I had a very similar unit, it lasted about 1 year. The evaporator corroded out and it lost it's charge. From what I've heard from a local appliance repair shop, this is a common problem. Mine was still under warranty (5 years on sealed system), so sears sent it to one of their authorized repair shops and about 4 weeks later, I got it back, noisy as ever. I sold it on the garage sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post

Does the compressor run?

Any sweating, any frost, any ice?

jeff.
    It appears to run. I turn it on and the fan starts, then shortly after I hear the unit "cycle" as if it's running the compressor.

No ice, frost or anything to speak of. I am going to take it apart and run it just to make sure.

[edit] I took the front off and took a look/feel of the condenser when it was running. The condensor is barely cool to the touch. The evaporator is pretty rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    Is the humidity high enough to energize the compressor? These new units run the fan continuously and only turn on the compressor when needed. I returned a brand new unit because of this feature. I don't want the fan running unless required. It's to noisy in the room.
    There's definitely enough moisture in the air in the basement. We've had a ton of rain over the past weeks and the basement is feeling it.

Quote Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post
    I had a very similar unit, it lasted about 1 year. The evaporator corroded out and it lost it's charge. From what I've heard from a local appliance repair shop, this is a common problem. Mine was still under warranty (5 years on sealed system), so sears sent it to one of their authorized repair shops and about 4 weeks later, I got it back, noisy as ever. I sold it on the garage sale.
    I wonder if mine is still under warranty?? Gotta check the manual.
    The coil ends do look rather corroded ... from what I can see through the grilles.
    Last edited by bmwpower; April 19th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.

It appears to run. I turn it on and the fan starts, then shortly after I hear the unit "cycle" as if it's running the compressor.
    Compressor running and no heat on the condensor, no sweating/frost/ice on the evaporator = a major system problem....probably a leaker.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    www.applianceaid.com
    JRAppliance
    www.jrappliance.ca

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
    Compressor running and no heat on the condensor, no sweating/frost/ice on the evaporator = a major system problem....probably a leaker.

jeff.
    Anyway for Sears to tell how old the unit is if I bring it in? I'm afraid the receipt might be long gone.

As junkcollector said, there's a 5 year warranty on the refrig system.

Anyway for Sears to tell how old the unit is if I bring it in? I'm afraid the receipt might be long gone.
    Probably have a date code from LG.

I'm afraid the receipt might be long gone
    Often no ticket no laundry.

there's a 5 year warranty on the refrig system
    Parts and labour or parts only?

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    www.applianceaid.com
    JRAppliance
    www.jrappliance.ca

Thread Information