dcsimg

Thread: Range problem

1. Default Range problem

Anyone know what error code P5H is.
    Heres the story. Have a rental house and tenant said that the stove breaker was tripping in the panel box.
    She supplies her own stove and she said she bought a new whirlpool one and it does the same thing. If I believe her shes said she had it checked and the service person said it was not a problem with the range. When the oven is turned on it trips the breaker. So I posted a question about this and answer was mostly likely the breaker, which made sense.. So now needed to add some more info.
    I went over to the house. Checked the range outlet just to be sure the terminal screws were tight. Panel box only 5 years old but had a 40-amp range breaker. I replaced the 40-amp breaker with a 50 amp since it had 8-2 gauge romex. And my breaker does not trip. I wish I had turned on the oven first to confirm it did trip the old breaker like tenant said, but I did not.
    After replacing I then went and checked the range. All 4 surface burners will come on and work. Display with clock will work but if you try and turn on the oven the display will show P5H for a few seconds then the display with clock goes completely blank and oven does not come on.
    I did a goggle and other people have asked what this P5H is and the answer that I found was only that it was not a whirlpool error code.

So any help is appreciated here. What could the P5H stand for. And can I now assume 100% that it is not a problem with my panel box.

Hi,

Stove make...Whirlpool?
    Model#?
    http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    www.applianceaid.com
    JRAppliance
    www.jrappliance.ca

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1 View Post
    Hi,

Stove make...Whirlpool?
    Model#?
    http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html Some model# helps.

jeff.

Would have to wait until I go over there next time.
    But is it possiable it is not a problem with the range. I mean can I be sure that it is not a problem with the panel box?
    Breaker does not trip and I read 120 x 2 volts at outlet. Black lead to center slot and my red meter lead to each of the other slots and got 120V at each one. When all 4 surface burners are on is this using 240v or 120V
    thanks
    Last edited by rayh78; March 6th, 2010 at 07:59 PM.

4. Default

I did find this on another post with goggle search. But could this range require a ground. My outlet is only 3 wire. Two hots and a netural.

"We just ran into a Whirlpool range with the P5H problem. The owners recently moved and just plugged the unit in and got P5H. The technician found a problem with the wall receptacle, no ground. If you have a meter, check your outlet. "

My outlet is only 3 wire. Two hots and a netural.
    Up here in the Great White North we have 4 wires, a seperate ground.....many in the USA tie the ground wire and neutral together.

jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    www.applianceaid.com
    JRAppliance
    www.jrappliance.ca

Thread Information