dcsimg

Thread: Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric 90300 Generator wont stay running

Default Harbor Freight/Chicago Electric 90300 Generator wont stay running

Ive done limitless searching but have no luck.... heres the deal, I have a Chicago Electric generator model 90300, bought it 3+ years ago, I lost the key for the electric start so I hot wired it (or so I think I did), it starts fine and runs for 30-40 seconds and dies, I cant find a schematic for the ignition switch but theres 3 wires, red, black, and green.... black (12v+) and green (starter) together starts it, and im guessing the red is "run" that gets 12v+.... makes scense.... I think. It wasnt ran before now it was all new, just sat around my garage until now. I put oil and gas in it and this is were I stand. If Im correct on the red wire getting 12v+, then what else can it be? it runs beautifully for 30-40 seconds and dies reguardless of messing with the throttle and/or choke.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Good news, Bad news, It's not your wiring that is causing the issue, your key does no more than start the engine, and then dead shorts the coil to ground to turn the engine off, so you have it wired correctly. You have a fuel issue, fuel in small amounts tends to jell over a peroid of time, this is why we use fuel stabilizer, but even this product only lasts 5 to 6 months.
    Before you go any further try starting you engine again with the gas cap very loose or off altogether, if this does not slove the problem I will need engine info to assit further.
    MJ

Welcome to our site

OK, first of all, thank you MJ for your responce... I did figure out the issue, simply, it was a lack of oil, I called harbor freight, then robins (maker of the engine) and was told that the dip stick is very misleading, it should be filled till it cant take anymore..... after filling it the rest of the way up it ran perfect. if anyone needs a manual or wiring diagram for this generator let me know as its not avalable online, habor freight tech support emailed it to me.

thanx again
    chris

The fact the dip stick reads wrong is an interesting thing to know, that will fool the best of us. my analiys was based on your info, we always encourgage posters to give as much info as possible, somtimes we need to go on line or refer to other sources to track answers to help our freinds. Glad to hear your up & running. Visit often.
    Mike

Default Chicago generator model 90300

Hi Skunk:

I have lost the manual for this generator and was wondering if you can email me it please. I had the same problem and as soon as i put more oil in the engine was humming away. I also have a problem with the key start. Thank you for you help.

Default need help

Got a new egnition switch wont stay running but if I hold the key on will stay running is my stsrter stay in or does it come out need the wire diagram

Default need help

Got a new egnition switch wont stay running but if I hold the key on will stay running is my stsrter stay in or does it come out need the wire diagram

Smile chicago electric 90300

Anybody know where I can find a replacement carburetor and governor/throttle springs ??

Harbor Freight supposedly stocks parts for much of their stuff. But you probably need to ask at the desk or call their support number. If it is out of productions and not parts, then it may be a throw away.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Thread Information