dcsimg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plumbing Horror in Savannah, GA

Default Plumbing Horror in Savannah, GA

Hey all, I need some advice on a plumbing horror story that involves Mr.Rooter in Savannah, GA. I called him when we experience a main line clog. He quoted us a price to install a "Clean Out" and clear the main line, we agreed and off he went. When he opened the pipe he concluded was the main line, it was dry, and he continued installing the "Clean Out", after installation was done, he ran some equipment down the line and then told us we were "fixed up", before he closed the clean out, I asked if we should flush the toilet first to make sure everything was flowing, he agreed, so I flushed 5 times, nothing ran past the clean out, and eventually the toilet backed up. Then Mr. Rooters plumber/owner informed me that we probably had a collapsed line somewhere else, and that every hole he digs to try and find the collapsed line, he'd have to charge us 650.00 bucks ea. hole! He started saying that the collapsed line was under the house, so he'd have to charge us even more. I questioned him b/c originally he said the clog was at least 50-60 ft. outside the home toward the main line. He said he changed his mind, and his gut now told him that the problem was under the house. I told him that he and his gut can pack up his things and leave, i'm getting a second opinion.

I got a real plumber out to my home the next day, turns out it was an old fashioned clog down by the main line, no collapsed line. Also turns out Mr.Rooter installed a "clean out" on an abandoned line, making it completely USELESS. I called Mr.Rooter and tried to get a PARTIAL refund, told him i didn't think it'd be fair to charge me for a clean out, when he didn't install one on our MAIN line, but I was willing to pay him some money for his time. Also, the second plumber out said Mr.Rooter should've known something was wrong when he opened a known clogged pipe and it was dry as a bone. Negligence on Mr.Rooters part. Mr.Rooter charged my credit card 617.00 and he didn't do anything! He didn't unclog my pipe, nor did he install a viable, working Clean Out.

HELP! what can I do? His name is mark jacobs, and he's not only the "technician", but also the owner, he told me there is nothing i can do but pay him, he gets the last say since it's his company. There's got to be something I can do right!?!?
    Last edited by Amazil; September 15th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

You probably need to go to small claims court to get any relief on this. At least file a report against him at the BBB.

If you put the charge on your credit card, contact your card company and initiate a disputed charge. If you can substantiate your claims, you may not have to pay him anything.

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    You probably need to go to small claims court to get any relief on this. At least file a report against him at the BBB.

We've filed a report against him at the BBB, he hasn't responded yet. Let's hope Mr.Rooter (Savannah) does the right thing. I realize there are probably some good Mr.Rooter franchises out there, so I'm trying to be specific to my location. I will keep this thread updated.

Also, is it industry practice to hold the homeowner responsible for any equipment damaged during a repair?

This guy doesn't know his trade and is unethical to boot. I've run across these franchise guys before, and found they can clear a toilet pretty well, and I wouldn't hire them for much more.

I was once called out on a job for a leak in the plumbing. The home owner told me that George Brazil had come out and insisted that he sign a contract for a price of $2200. (I'm not making this up). He thought that was a bit excessive and called for a second opinion.

I followed the leak and found it was from a molding strip that had been nailed to an access door. The nail had plugged the leak till the dissimilar metal reaction created a hole. The fix was a copper union in a half inch pipe. The cost was around $100 including portage time. You tell me what you think.

I'm not saying that they're all bad, but I do believe a goodly portion are. I've been told that the guys in the trucks are paid on commission and the more they charge the better their paychecks. They keep half of the charges. Now I know that you said this was an owner operator, so he keeps all the charges and if it's a franchise, probably pays a small percentage.

I could never charge a client for damage to my equipment, unless he actually did the damage or did something like hook up a 240 volt line to a 120 volt receptacle. It's all part of the cost of doing business and not chargeable to the home owner.

I have to agree, a mechanic doesn't charge you for breaking a wrench while working on your car, a dentist doesn't charge for a broken drill while working on your teeth and a plumber should be no different, unless like mentioned the home owner grabs the tool and has a "go" at doing the repair themselves, then the owner is responsible, but only then.

What did he break that he wants to charge you ?
    Doesn't sound at all reasonable

I hope you are contesting the charges with your CC Co
    DIY Homeowner...not a Pro or licensed electrician

Quote Originally Posted by scuba_dave View Post
    What did he break that he wants to charge you ?
    Doesn't sound at all reasonable

I hope you are contesting the charges with your CC Co
    He told me if he ran his "jetter" down my line and the hose got stuck, that he'd have to cut the hose, and then charge me 200 bucks for the hose, and another 40 for the head. OR, he said he'd have to dig another hole in my yard (above where the hose is stuck) and charge me 650 bucks for the labor to dig the hole.

Sadly, I'm not joking.

I've disputed the charges with my credit card, filling out all the paperwork and stuff. I'm disappointed with the whole situation really. I called Mr.Rooter corporate, not much they can do but put a note in his "franchise folder".

Quote Originally Posted by Fischer View Post
    This guy doesn't know his trade and is unethical to boot. I've run across these franchise guys before, and found they can clear a toilet pretty well, and I wouldn't hire them for much more.

I was once called out on a job for a leak in the plumbing. The home owner told me that George Brazil had come out and insisted that he sign a contract for a price of $2200. (I'm not making this up). He thought that was a bit excessive and called for a second opinion.

I followed the leak and found it was from a molding strip that had been nailed to an access door. The nail had plugged the leak till the dissimilar metal reaction created a hole. The fix was a copper union in a half inch pipe. The cost was around $100 including portage time. You tell me what you think.

I'm not saying that they're all bad, but I do believe a goodly portion are. I've been told that the guys in the trucks are paid on commission and the more they charge the better their paychecks. They keep half of the charges. Now I know that you said this was an owner operator, so he keeps all the charges and if it's a franchise, probably pays a small percentage.

I could never charge a client for damage to my equipment, unless he actually did the damage or did something like hook up a 240 volt line to a 120 volt receptacle. It's all part of the cost of doing business and not chargeable to the home owner.
    Yeah, I didn't think it was ethical to charge for any equipment damaged if the "professional" was the one handling the equipment. Of course I did not let him run his equipment after that point, I didn't want to chance getting charged for it. I was curious if anyone else here thought that was strange too.
    Last edited by Amazil; September 19th, 2009 at 04:23 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Amazil View Post
    He told me if he ran his "jetter" down my line and the hose got stuck, that he'd have to cut the hose, and then charge me 200 bucks for the hose, and another 40 for the head. OR, he said he'd have to dig another hole in my yard (above where the hose is stuck) and charge me 650 bucks for the labor to dig the hole.

Sadly, I'm not joking.

I've disputed the charges with my credit card, filling out all the paperwork and stuff. I'm disappointed with the whole situation really. I called Mr.Rooter corporate, not much they can do but put a note in his "franchise folder".
    That's crazy, if he is so inexperienced that he got something stuck in the WRONG pipe then it's his loss
    DIY Homeowner...not a Pro or licensed electrician

Thread Information