dcsimg

Thread: Size of Wire for Central Air Conditioner 4ton and 3 ton.

Default Size of Wire for Central Air Conditioner 4ton and 3 ton.

What wire should I use?

Thanks Brent

Tell us the information from the nameplate of the units. They will typically indicate minimum circuit ampacity, in addition to other rinformation.
    Ron

Also if you are talking about the condensor alone or both air handler and condensor. They do need separate circuits.

2500 watts on the 2 1/2 ton and 4500 watts on 4 ton. So I'm thinking that I need a 30amp and a 50 amp circuit. Wire should be 10/3 for 30 amp and 6/3 for the 50 amp. I'm I thinking correctly?

Watts is not the ideal value we need. If that is all you have, we need volts too (I'm assuming 240V). Is there anything that says Mimimum Circuit Ampacity (or MCA), Rated Load Amps (RLA), Full Load Amps (FLA), and/or Maximum Fuse/Breaker? The value we need is MCA, but if that isn't there then we need the motor FLA and the compressor RLA.

From the few AC compressors I've looked at recently, a 2.5 Ton 240V unit would have an MCA of 18 to 23 amps which requires a #10 copper branch circuit (#12 is OK if MCA is less than 20). The breaker installed on this wire would probably be a 25 or 30A depending on what the manufacturer says. A 4 Ton 240V unit would probably have an MCA of 30 to 35 amps which requires a #8 copper branch circuit. The breaker for this would need to be a 40 or 50A breaker again depending on what the manufacturer allows.

You can upsize the wire to the customary sizes for the breaker if you wish -- will be a more efficient installation that way but cost a little more.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

6. Default

I have the similar case,

Thank's a lot for the complete answer particularly on " You can upsize the wire to the customary sizes for the breaker if you wish -- will be a more efficient installation that way but cost a little more."
    Last edited by centralairunits; May 31st, 2010 at 01:07 PM.
    no spam here

This thread is almost 6 years old.
    Learning brings success. While you are waiting, I'm getting better!

Thread Information