dcsimg

Thread: FM radio reception

Default FM radio reception

Hi guys,

Not really any interference problem, just wondering if you have any tips on improving FM radio reception on my basement stereo system. One thing I tried is one of those "indoor amplified" antennas, which is basically a glorified pair of "rabbit ears" attached to a box with a ac wall adaptor, it works somewhat, but also induces sort of a hum into the system. I've also tried making what I think they call a "dipole" antenna, which worked slightly better than the stock antenna. It seems like the hot water heating pipes in my basement are acting as some sort of choke because when I hold the antenna lead above the pipes the signal gets better?

All local stations that I care to listen to come in well, I'm just trying to pull in a few more distant stations, of which come in fairly well when the weather is just right...Perhaps humidity has something to do with it? It always seems like the wetter / rainier it is, the better the reception is.

I've also read about using an standard UHF / VHF TV antenna, perhaps putting it in the attic. (No idea if it is worth trying)

Any opinions, thoughts, tips, and conversation is welcome as usual. Thanks.

You dont have much signal getting to your basement. The best antenna in the world wont help you unless good signal gets to it. Find a outdoor antenna you can attach to the side of your house. You will need to experiment with what side of the house gets you the best reception for all stations.

Sites such as www.radio-locator.com may help you find where the signal is coming from and how strong it is. I think going from a attic to a basement may be a bit extreme to start with.

A powered antenna should not introduce a hum unless theres a problem (usually a ground) with your receiver or the antenna. In most cases you wont need a powered antenna.

FM band is between 6 and 7 on the TV dial. If you have an outdoor TV antenna connect that to your radio.

We took down the old outdoor antenna when we reroofed, and I threw away because it is in poor shape, so I don't have an outdoor antenna anymore.

I know that the signal is weak in the basement, so I need to think outside the box.

Check out this board, and see if you can get some info from it:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...235326916.html
    Learning brings success. While you are waiting, I'm getting better!

You could always try internet radio. You can listen to literally almost any radio station online. If you have a way to hook up your sound system to your computer (there is a way with a simple adapter) that would probably give you the best signal.

Default FM antenna

I would try one of those omnidirectional dipole antennas called a "turnstile " put it up high and use good quality RG-6 coax for the line. You will need a 300 ohm to 75 ohm balun on each end.

Thread Information