dcsimg

Thread: Smokercraft wiring

Default Smokercraft wiring

Anyone know where to find a wiring diagram for a Smokercraft boat? I have one wire that when hooked up to the battery is drawing over ten amps(pops 10A fuse in my meter). If I leave it off everything apears to be working. I need to find out what this wire could be for. It goes under the floor at the back of the boat and heads for the bow.
    Lights, motor, tilt, guages, radios, bilge pump live well pumps, etc all are working if I leave this wire off.

What happens if you put your meter on ohms and test between the wire and ground? Perhaps it is connected to the chassis?

I found a switch on the front of the boat that switches between charge and run and off. When in run the wire is pulling power. I think is something about a trolling motor. There a 12/24 volt setting and plug for an electric motor.
    I don't think it is a ground short or the wire would be smoking. For now I will leave it disconnected. I am beginning to think it might a connection for a seocnd battery to get the 24 volts.

Hey Joe, did you ever figure out where that wire goes?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by junkcollector View Post
    Hey Joe, did you ever figure out where that wire goes?

Just curious.
    Old dead thread. I subscribed to this thread hoping for some kind of response.

When a member of my family purchased an Alumacraft 175CS and got it home, we wired up lighting in his garage because we knew it would take some time to get it set up for freshwater salmon/trout trolling on the great lakes.

The main wiring explodes into a compartment on the back starboard against the transom that houses the main battery. The entire cavity along the starboard side was delivered with a mess of loose wires going to the steering console plus branching out to the bow running light and also the 24volt compartment for an electric trolling motor setup, etc etc.

My main point, is that we had to clip a ton of zip ties and actually make many wires more secure so that they would not chafe around while plowing through the 1-3 foot chop that we blast through at 15-25MPH all the time, almost every fishing trip. Some external connectors, especially the dual mount trolling setup were not water tight.
    We filled these points with some white lithium grease to keep the water out, since this boat electric trolls inland lakes when not using the down riggers and planar e.q.

Quote Originally Posted by joed View Post
    I found a switch on the front of the boat that switches between charge and run and off. When in run the wire is pulling power. I think is something about a trolling motor. There a 12/24 volt setting and plug for an electric motor.
    I don't think it is a ground short or the wire would be smoking. For now I will leave it disconnected. I am beginning to think it might a connection for a second battery to get the 24 volts.
    If you really want to chase down this wire, purchase an inductor amp and a tone generator. This will take about 4 minutes to find your mystery wire. Lowes or Home Depot sells these tools, or go to GrayBar and get a good one if you are a DIY guy.

If you put a larger motor on this boat that has something like 100-225HP, the hull may be rated for this type of beating, but on these type of boats, the electric guts get angry after a while, if not hardened.

Thread Information