dcsimg

Thread: furnace blower wont turn off

Default furnace blower wont turn off

Following furnace, a/c and humidifier were just installed yesterday, the heat and a/c works fine, however the furnace blower will not turn off even when i switched to off position for (cool, off, heat) and fan to auto (there are only 2 option on, fan auto). Is this normal and if anyone have the same situation? If this is a malfunction, how can i fix it?

Furnace: Carrier Infinity 96 58MVB60 2 stage DC variable speed
    A/C: Carrier Performance 24APA5
    Humidifier: Carrier SBP-12

thank you

You have an Infinity air handler, but a non-Infinity AC unit. I'm not sure how you wire the Infinity airhandlers with a non-Infinity thermostat. You get so much control and monitoring with the Infinity stat, but you may need an Infinity AC to use the Infinity stat.

It looks like this

The Infinity thermostat uses 4 wires -- power, common, and two data lines. It is not just a fancy switch like most thermostats. I think they have ways to fool the air handler when used with a dumb thermostat, but I don't know how to do it. I'm thinking it is not connected properly, so best to call your installer back. I'd ask if you can upgrade to an Infinity stat if you want to spring for few hundred that its costs and if it will work with a non-infinity AC unit.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Thank you Mark, I did a little research after your post but decided not to spend the extra money on the Infinity control stat you stated. The current thermostat installer gave me is the base standard model
    http://www.commercial.carrier.com/re...ID3844,00.html
    before I call the installer to fix the problem, would like to know in your experience if there will be anything wrong to use this standard stat instead of the infinity control for the infinity 96 furnace and the performance series condenser already installed.

thanks

There is a configuration on that furnace for a continuous fan:

"CONTINUOUS FAN (CF) SETUP SWITCHES
    The CF setup switches are used to select desired airflow when
    thermostat is in continuous fan mode or to select low-cooling
    airflow for two-speed cooling units. This setup feature allows
    continuous fan airflow or low-cooling airflow to be adjusted. To
    set desired continuous fan airflow or low-cooling airflow:
    1. Remove main furnace door and blower access panel.
    2. Locate CF setup switches on furnace control. (See Fig. 37.)
    3. Determine desired continuous fan airflow or low-cooling
    airflow.
    4. Use Fig. 55 or wiring schematic to determine proper setup
    position of CF switches. (See Fig. 36 and 56.)
    5. Replace main furnace door and blower access panel."

I'm pretty certain they have the wiring ability on the air handler for both infinity data logic and just switched terminals. This is because there are still non-Carrier things the air handler must interface to at times (like zone controls and your dehumidifier may not be Infinity capable).

So it should work just fine. It could be the CF switch, or else something was wired wrong which is forcing the fan on all the time.

CR500 - do you have an online link to the manual the figures are referring to in your post? I have links to Bryant manuals, but not the Carrier ones (but they are very similar).
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Fordrules beat me to it. This will get you a little closer.

http://www.residential.carrier.com/p...finity96.shtml

These all appear to be user level manuals -- owners manual, warranty cards, etc. Do they have an installers manual or technical specs anywhere?

I didn't see any document that containd the detailed description of Continuous Fan that CR500 posted. The owners manual mentioned it, and how you can change its speed by cycling the fan switch, but no details about how to enable/disable it, DIP switch settings, etc.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Oops, my link wasn't correct. Looks like they've changed some things since the last time I visited their site. Try these:

http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co..._SIT12,00.html
    http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co..._SIT12,00.html

Thread Information