dcsimg

Thread: Which is best? Gas pack or split system

Default Which is best? Gas pack or split system

Hi everyone, I am new on this forum. The reason i joined is i need help in making a decision. I have a 21 year old split system with gas for fuel. I am thinking about installing a new system. Now the question is, should i go with a gas pack or split system? Which is more efficient? I would appreciate all the imput i can get. Thanks, Eugene

Can you define what "gas pack" means to you? I thought it was just a normal gas furnace. If you have a split system, what is split -- inside air handler with gas furnace and outside AC compressor/heat pump?

If you want to know which fuel is less expensive to operate, we need to know the cost per therm of cast and the cost per kw-Hr of electricity, and about how much of each you have used in seasons past.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Default Gas pack

Well what i mean is gas pack has gas furnace and AC all in one unit that is on outside and duct work runs under house. It is much easier to service but i have heard that you don't get even heat and cooling in all rooms.

Unless you're in a very mild climate, then the gas pack is not as efficient. Putting the heating and cooling unit outside means you have a duct penetration through your perimeter wall. This must be well insulated and sealed, and even if that is accomplished, it will deteriorate over time. It is much better to put the air handler in conditioned space (even a garage is better than an attic or crawlspace). PLus the main plenum is outside -- cold in winter and hot in summer. Don't know how well they insulate them, but it is better if ambient temperature is closer to what humans like.

Evenness of heating/cooling depends on duct design. It would be very similar if the air handler was on the inside wall just inside of where the gas pack would be outside. Many houses are done this way (air handler at one end, long duct trunk along the house). I improved mine though by relocating the air handler to the center of the trunk instead of being at one end.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Thread Information