dcsimg

Thread: I am buying a house which has an existing leanto

Exclamation I am buying a house which has an existing leanto

Hi friends, I am buying a house which has an existing lean to extension made from wood and a polycarbonate roof. It has been up 8 years and as far as I am aware, it did not need planning permission. Can anyone tell me if there is a legal length of time that it has been there so there should be no problems with authorities? Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

Moved as was tacked on the end of a year old unrelated post
    Last edited by joed; June 4th, 2008 at 08:58 AM.

Should your title have a "to" on the end -- you're buying a house with a "lean to" roof, not a lean on the title, right?

If it didn't need planning permission, then why would there be problems with the "authorities"? What your local government requires and can do is very specific to your locality. You should post what city and state this is in, but even then you'll be lucky to find someone who knows the specific issues in your area. If the house was built at a time when approval would have been required, then you could have a problem. If it was built long ago, and no one knows when the extention was built, it is harder to prove a problem.

Another "authority" is a homeowners association. Usually, they get on people right away for things that don't conform, but they can have a great amount of power.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

My fault on title. I created it wrong when I moved it. Found a way to fix it.

Thread Information