dcsimg

Thread: Allowable ampacities for magnet wire

Default Allowable ampacities for magnet wire

Hello everyone! I need help with another one of my scary build-it-myself projects!

I am winding my own transformer from scratch and I need to figure out what gauge size enamel covered magnet wire will carry 5 amps.

I am unsure on how to calculate this, so if anyone could point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

If you need any more info just holler.

Good question, I wish I knew the answer. Can you use whatever size wire you want (assumining sufficient ampacity), or is it important that the coil of wire by itself have the correct impedance to only allow up to 5A of current to flow? If you have to watch the impedance, you have multiple variables to deal with (e.g. you could use #16 wire, but you'll have thousands of turns and it will be huge; or a few turns of #32, but you'll burn it up because it can't take 5 amps). The number of turns may also affect the heat dissipation ability of the wire.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Hi Mark,

Quote Originally Posted by suemarkp View Post
    Can you use whatever size wire you want (assumining sufficient ampacity), or is it important that the coil of wire by itself have the correct impedance to only allow up to 5A of current to flow?
    The coil I am winding is a secondary coil, and it will be protected by a fuse. It does not have to be current limited. I just want to try to figure out what the minimum size wire will carry 5 amps safely without burning up. The problem is is that I have limited core space to wind, and I need to make 120 turns of wire. I have to be efficient as possible, because I will obviously not do as neat of a job as a machine in a factory. The transformer will be forced air cooled.

I have searched the internet a bit and have not turned up any type of chart or anything that would give out this information. Any ideas are still welcome.

Thank you so much!

I guess I got to get winding.

Thread Information