dcsimg

Thread: Aluminum wire for sub feed?

Default Aluminum wire for sub feed?

hey, great forum, this is my first post,
    I am installing a suite and want to put in a 100 amp sub panel (electric baseboards) off the present 200 amp main. Knight says use #3 copper for the 100 amp feed but someone suggested I use aluminum since it is so much cheaper, what gauge do I use? I thought it was two sizes up which would make it #1, is this right? What is the proper use of the antioxidant paste?
    Thanks

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by renoguy View Post
    hey, great forum, this is my first post,
    I am installing a suite and want to put in a 100 amp sub panel (electric baseboards) off the present 200 amp main. Knight says use #3 copper for the 100 amp feed but someone suggested I use aluminum since it is so much cheaper, what gauge do I use? I thought it was two sizes up which would make it #1, is this right? What is the proper use of the antioxidant paste?
    Thanks
    #1 is the right size for a sub panel.
    When using aluminum cable be sure to coat any bare aluminum with anti oxidant immediately after stripping. I usually take the cap off the bottle and dip the conductor inside to get a good coating on it. Then tighten the lugs and re-tighten them a day later.

Joe

as far as the wire size,aluminum will have to be bigger,it does not have the same current ratng as copper. It has a lower current rating and will not handle the load

And #1 aluminum is bigger than #3 copper. Generally, its a two numerical size increase when going from copper to aluminum.
    Mark
    Kent, WA

Thread Information