dcsimg

Thread: Neutral Bus Bar vs. Grounding Bus Bar

Default Neutral Bus Bar vs. Grounding Bus Bar

New home,2 bedroom, Peoria, IL, construction with 200 Amp service. I have a basic 30 space Sqaure D main breaker electric panel that I just purchased from Lowes.

I am ready to wire up all my breakers.

My questions is... which is the neutral bus bar and which is the grounding? They are both bonded together on the panel so does it even matter which is use to attach my white and ground wire to?

Plus, there are two isolated grounding bars screwed on opposite sides of the panel that are not bonded to the neutral bus bar...??? For what?

Does it matter which bars I use to connect my white wires and grounding wires?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

For the panel containing the main service disconenct it does not matter. The neutral and ground are bonded.

If you have a panel with the grounding bars installed (those on either side mounted directly to the panel) use them to land the bare grounding wires. Install the white neutrals on either of the other two bars. If this panel is the main disconnect (no other panels between it and the meter), you would also install the green bonding screw that will bond neutral bus and panel enclosure. If this is NOT the service disconnect, then this is a subpanel and the bonding screw is NOT installed and the panel will be fed by four wires (hot, hot, neutral, ground).

thanks for the clear message...

househelper,

"If this panel is the main disconnect (no other panels between it and the meter), you would also install the green bonding screw that will bond neutral bus and panel enclosure."

can you elaborate on this? install this where?

thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by hgufrin View Post
    "If this panel is the main disconnect (no other panels between it and the meter), you would also install the green bonding screw that will bond neutral bus and panel enclosure."

can you elaborate on this? install this where?
    For a main panel, there should be a green screw that goes through the neutral bar that "ties the neutral down" AKA bonds it to the box. Some panels have a grounding strap (thin piece of aluminum) that is screwed to the panel and put under one of the bus lugs.

Hope that clears it up.

sure does. thanks

Square D panels use green screws in a hole on the top right of the strap the connects the two neutral bars. Bonds the bars to the panel.

I
    have a basic 30 space Sqaure D main breaker electric panel that I just purchased from Lowes
    I thought it was basic!
    Learning brings success. While you are waiting, I'm getting better!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohm1 View Post
    I

I thought it was basic!
    Should be. Can't get the acidic ones anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by househelper View Post
    Should be. Can't get the acidic ones anymore.
    exactly!!! LOL!!
    Learning brings success. While you are waiting, I'm getting better!

Thread Information