I think I have gotten the dryer receptacle that i previously asked about working properly now, everything checks out correctly in the recep itself and the grounding wire. However, I am afraid that the dryer heating element may have been damaged by what sounded like an arc in the recep box the first time I plugged it in. (That arc was the reason for my first post) My wife dryed several loads yesterday and she says it took about 50% more time than normal to dry them. Is it possible that one of the dryer's internal wires, either red or black, that feed the heating element was burned out or knocked off a connection point by the arcing at the dryer recep? If so, wouldn't that cause the element to operate on only 120V instead of 240?
If I test the red and black wires on the dryer hookup panel for continuity to neutral will an open circuit indicate a break or a disconnect in that feed wire? I guess that's a dumb question, but I don't fully understand how 2- 120V feeds combine to make 240V. I have read the explanation and seen the diagrams of how 2- 180 degree out of phase alternating currents fit together to double the voltage but it's still Greek to me.
Another question just came to mind. If the dryer is unplugged a continuity test may not work because the switch that turns on the dryer motor and element would have to be in the on position to complete those circuits and it's controlled somehow to automatiacally shut off when the door is opened. I assume that switch is activated electrically so if the dryer is unplugged it probably won't open and close the heating element circuits. Does any of that make sense?