dcsimg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toilet drain must miss joists.

Default Toilet drain must miss joists.

I haven't purchased the 'commode' yet but want to frame up the interior wall that goes right behind it.
    Is there a standard distance that the toilet drain is, from the back of the tank - such that I can plan to miss the joists below when I install the drain? (the wall location is flexible)
    Joists are 16" OC.
    Thanks as always.

Northern Kentucky, Greater Cincinnati Area

I always set the flange at 13" rough-in to give myself a little room for the toilet.

The joists being 16" on center is not relevant to the perpendicular wall that is behind it, not unless the wall travels the direction of joists.

Try to center the flange between the joists if at all possible, to avoid taking integrity from joists.

The rule, or code is 15" off the center of flange distance from any fixture or wall when setting the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by DUNBAR PLUMBER
    I always set the flange at 13" rough-in to give myself a little room for the toilet.
    So if I drill out a hole in the floor where the drain goes, right in-between two joists, then I may build the wall behind the toilet 13" from the center of that hole?

Sounds a bit close. Maybe I did not explain what I need very well?
    Thanks for all advice.

Yes. 13". That means 1/2" for drywall, leaving 12.5" for the 12" rough-in toilet, with a 1/2" to spare for the tank imperfections or tank lid overhang in some cases.

a million thank yous for sharing your expertise....

When we installed our cammodes we did it at 14" and it left a 1/4 inch gap,
    good luck,
    one thing that i learned later that you may or may not know is that if you use a wax ring heat it up a bit and place it on the bottom of the cammode centered over the bowls hole before placing the camode in place, it saves the worry of a mis aligned seal
    J. grover

If memory serves, aren't their toilets that ruff in at 12, 13, and 14? I seem to remember some special "ut oh!" toilets that ruff at non-standard dimensions. Is that still true?

Also, I noticed that Dunbar Plumber's picture appears as though he is being held hostage. Can I be of some help?

I got tired of the barn in the field, and now I have a picture of what a toilet does when you flush the wrong toilet paper in it, it throws it back.

Toilets come in 10", 12", and 14" rough-ins.

I stay away from 10" rough-in toilets for thier notorious clogging, for the reason of such a short throat.

Then I have seen some Diy'r installs where the wall was 4" beyond the tank.......????

Couldn't figure out the necessity of that one,,,,just that I tell them not to lean on them.

thanks for the tip New Guy.
    And DP, I am ordering a toilet with a specified 12" rough in - I think you are right, you have to order one that will fit what you want (or you have to place the drain hole as that specific toilet calls for...12", 13", etc.)

If you floor joist is a problem then just cut it in two and header each side off to the adjoining floor joists. Then you are good to go.

Good Luck

Wg

Thread Information