PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos wire

dremmel
March 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM
On a house that we recently put a new service on, my instructor noted some wiring that, according to him has asbestos on it. I asked him how I should dispose of it when I rewire the house and he jokingly said, "in the trash, don't get caught". What is the proper way to handle and dispose of such wire? He identified it by the white cloth material around the cable. I haven't read about this kind of wire in any of my books so I'm not familiar with it.

dualvet
March 30th, 2004, 12:05 PM
I have wired a number of Residential homes over the years but
never encountered any Asbestos.

I also had worked in Factories that had Asbestos coating/covering on
wires, cables and pipes.

Today they have CERTIFIED people that remove Asbestos SAFELY and
not Trashing it in a Public dump.

If I would run into this situation I would find help on removing it
legally.

Wait for WG and others to Comment..............ed

mdshunk
March 30th, 2004, 12:59 PM
While I'll admit that absestos covered wire does exist, it is normally in old, high temperature applications. Such as old machinery, old bake ovens, and some old industrial equipment. Asbestos covered wire is normally only found inside of machinery and associated apparatus.

While your instructor may believe that the wire had asbestos covering, I would tend to say that he's full of (something). I may end up eating crow here.

In any event, since you're in PA, I'll let you know that there is a test that you can take for a limited license that will let a person remove a very small amount of asbestos before you need a full-fledged abatement contractor's license. Asbestos, when properly bagged and tagged, is disposed of in most regular landfills. It's only a hazard when airborne, not when buried with the trash. Of course, you must declare that it is asbestos when you take it to the landfill.

Wgoodrich
March 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM
A lot of people will misidentify old waxed paper insulation as asbestos insulation. If you take a knife and save a bit of the insulation you should find the asbestos insulation to come off powdery yet waxed paper insulation that looks just like the asbestos wiring, waxed paper insulated wiring will flake off moist. Most older homes have the waxed paper wiring style insulation such as the old knob and tube wiring style.

Hope this helps

Wg

dznewz
March 30th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I worked in the theater in the 70's. At the time, the stage lighting fixture wires were asbestos insulated. Of course, at that time we had asbestos fire-curtains, too.

In the mid-70's, manufacturers switched to some kind of high temperature plastic insulation.

Otherwise, I've never encountered asbestos wire insulation.

dremmel
March 30th, 2004, 07:17 PM
While I'll admit that absestos covered wire does exist, it is normally in old, high temperature applications. Such as old machinery, old bake ovens, and some old industrial equipment. Asbestos covered wire is normally only found inside of machinery and associated apparatus.

While your instructor may believe that the wire had asbestos covering, I would tend to say that he's full of (something). I may end up eating crow here.

In any event, since you're in PA, I'll let you know that there is a test that you can take for a limited license that will let a person remove a very small amount of asbestos before you need a full-fledged abatement contractor's license. Asbestos, when properly bagged and tagged, is disposed of in most regular landfills. It's only a hazard when airborne, not when buried with the trash. Of course, you must declare that it is asbestos when you take it to the landfill.
Thanks md. I'll follow through tomorrow with a call to waste management and see what they say.

dremmel
March 30th, 2004, 07:20 PM
A lot of people will misidentify old waxed paper insulation as asbestos insulation. If you take a knife and save a bit of the insulation you should find the asbestos insulation to come off powdery yet waxed paper insulation that looks just like the asbestos wiring, waxed paper insulated wiring will flake off moist. Most older homes have the waxed paper wiring style insulation such as the old knob and tube wiring style.

Hope this helps

Wg
This home does have knob and tube throughout. I will test it as you say to see. Is the only precaution I need to take, is to wear a mask?

mdshunk
March 31st, 2004, 01:24 PM
I'm gonna say it a little plainer.... you don't have asbestos wire. Asbestos covered wire is for darned special applications, and house wiring was never one of them.