dcsimg

PDA

View Full Version : Sub panel height above garage floor

notapro
January 17th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Is there a height requirement from the floor for the subpanel in my detached garage. Also, is Pvc required between recepticals. The wire will be in the wall cavity but not covered with dryall or paneling. I would also assume the panel can not be behind a door?

And on a separate note, does anybody know if there is any type of a violation for an electric water heater to be in a closet? The water heater at my cabin is stuck in the middle of the mudroom and is an eyesore. Thought about building a closet around it.
Thanks all
Jason

Ohm1
January 17th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Is there a height requirement from the floor for the subpanel in my detached garage. no higher than 6 feet 7" above the floor or working platform. (See pic below)That's the center of the grip of the operating handle of the breaker in its highest position shouldn't be higher than 6 ' 7".

Also, is Pvc required between recepticals. The wire will be in the wall cavity but not covered with dryall or paneling. I would also assume the panel can not be behind a door? Pvc is not required between receptacles, usless you are running THHN THWN or the like. The panel can be behind the door, but you must have 30 inches of working space in front of the electrical equipment, and you must maintain at least a 90 degree opening of the electrical equipment door. That 30 in width can be from either side of the panel (left or right).
And on a separate note, does anybody know if there is any type of a violation for an electric water heater to be in a closet? No problem with putting your hot water tank in the closet. Just make sure you have enough clear space for maintenance. Jason