PDA

View Full Version : Installing Electrical Baseboard Heat

dond427
January 14th, 2006, 06:32 AM
I'm having trouble figuring out the wiring to install electrical baseboard heat. I have had no trouble following good directions, but I cannot make sense of these.

First off, I have Honeywell RLV430 Thermostat and a Marley F2546 Electric Baseboard heater (1500W, 6.3A).

The instructions recommend a 15A DPST and this is where my confusion comes from. I am not sure how to wire the breaker into the circuit. As you know, with a SPST breaker, you only have one connection for power. But, with the DPST, I have two.

So, my question is, how do I wire from the DPST to my thermostat to my baseboard heater?

Thanks for any help on this.

Don

Mr T
January 14th, 2006, 07:02 AM
This is a 240V circuit. 15A, 14-2 wire is fine.

You have a double pole breaker
Hook your black wire to one side, and the white wire (relabeled as black) to the other.

At the thermostat, hook the black and the white (relabeled as black) to each of the input side terminals. Hook a black and white (relabeled as black) to the output side.. run to your heater. You may have a red and black wire at the heater, you are using your white as a red.

You have no neutral in this circuit.

Roger
January 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Along with with Mr. T's advice this may help some....

http://www.marleymeh.com/develop/prod_pdf/2500wiring.pdf

Phelps
January 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I'll try to add my two cents and try to make this real simple sounding for someone who knows SOMETHING about electrical wiring:

You have two wires and a bare ground wire that is your circuit coming from the wall into the baseboard heater.

Inside the baseboard heater you have two wires.

On one side or the other of the baseboard heater, the two wires will be wire-nutted together. You have to have on one side or the other, the two wires, nutted together. You can chose which side to put the thermostat on, as long as you make sure the OTHER side's two wires are nutted together.

You only hook up ONE of the 110 hot circuit wires to the thermostat, whether it be the thermostat you put on the heater or one you put on the wall. Remember that. You only hook up ONE of the incoming hot wires to it.

Then on the other thermostat terminal you hook up one of the baseboard heater wires. (Therefore the switch is only inside one of the 110 power feed "legs".)

The other BASEBOARD wire gets wire nutted to the other hot circuit wire coming into the heater from the wall.

Now you have completed your "loop", with the switch located within one of the 110 legs.

The incoming bare ground wire gets screwed onto the baseboard heater inside the compartment you opened up to make your connections at.

Always use care "packing" wires back inside.

Simple.

suemarkp
January 14th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Some thermostats are single pole and some are double pole. I searched for that thermostat and couldn't find it, so I don't know which type he has. Either type is legal for a thermostat, but if you want to use it as a DISCONNECT, it must be double pole. This means that both of the circuit source wires go through the thermostat instead of just one.

A double pole thermostat would be the safer installation if the thermostat is in sight of the heater(s), since it will remove all power from the heater when its turned to "off".

dond427
January 15th, 2006, 08:44 AM
Bingo! Everything worked like a charm. Thanks everyone!!!

Phelps
January 17th, 2006, 05:03 PM
dond427,

That's great. And it's always nice, on a forum such as these, when the original question asker comes back and lets everyone know the results, or if they still need more help.

Mark,

Ya...I never got into the baseboard heaters/stats where you can choose between a stat letting the baseboard heater shut completely off, or one that does not have a true "off", but has a very low setting setting that can at least assure someone that their house will not freeze up on them if they are gone for some time from the house. I have installed both single and double pole stats.