PDA

View Full Version : par20 r20 bulb comparison

jdulberg
February 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM
I've been searching the web but can't find any comparison photos etc. of the difference between a par20 bulb and an r20 bulb (50 watts) for recessed lighting. I'm looking for the most light/spread of the two. They are for Halo 4" non-ic, remodels (h99rt) (http://www.cooperlighting.com/search/products.asp?id=11433&app=Recessed+Downlight&lightsource=Incandescent).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks.

Jason

Wgoodrich
February 15th, 2004, 12:46 PM
Par normally depicts heavy glass lens to withstand temp and weather. R normally depicts the thinner glass lens to withstand only inside protected area.

What you need to consider is spot, beam, flood, type refraction of the lumens. Suspect you will find flood is the design to spread quickly the lumens for rapid refraction of the lumen output in a wide pattern.

Also if this is a recessed tank it can normally be adjusted so the end of the bulb for example a trim with a hole in center or eye ball type recessed tank trim so you can adjust that bulb to recess slightly or stick out beyond the trim. Sticking out beyond the trim about 3/4" will all faster spreading of the light output.

Then you get into parabellic lenses that scatter the lumen output in a softer wide light output design.

Contact your nearest lighting design supplier for more detailed custom adjustments available in your certain conditions.

Hope this helps

Wg

mdshunk
February 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM
One of the other main differences between the PAR and the R lamps is about 6 bucks! I just had to buy some reflector lamps for a new fixture in my boys' bedroom. They were 30's. The PAR (outdoor) lamps were 8 to 10 dollars each. The R (indoor) lamps were 3 to 4 dollars each. You don't really want PAR lamps indoors anyhow. You can get an R lamp to satisfy most light pattern requirements.

jdulberg
February 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Wg and Mdshrunk, thank you for your help & suggestions!

Regarding adjusting where the bulb is located inside the tank... when I installed the trim and a bulb (I bought both r & par flood to test them out), the bulb sat just above the trim rather than within it or sticking out from the tank a bit. Basically the tank is too deep for the bulb. Unfortunately, no adjusting device came with the lights so I might have to create a new C shaped bracket to screw to the top of the socket and existing mounting hole.

Thanks again :)

Jason

6pack
February 16th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Take a look at directions if provided or look at interior of tank(recessed can) most rough in cans will have possibly thumb screw which allows you to raise or lower socket base. A bulls eye (rotating) another story. Good porcelin extension sockets are available, If they fit desired fit your looking for. There also are long and short necked lamps out there but they must fit your fixture spec's.