PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a European Chandelier

Dean Tuttle
October 24th, 2002, 08:34 AM
:?: I have a European Chandelier which did not come with instructions, the chandelier has 4 color coded wires, brown, black, blue and green with a yellow stripe. I'm sure the green with a yellow stripe is the grounded wire. I also believe the brown is the neutral while the blue and the black are hot. Can someone please confirm.

Thanks

Wgoodrich
October 24th, 2002, 12:27 PM
In europe usually the light fixture is wired for 200 volts.

Normally in Europe the blue depicts GROUNDED [aka neutral]

Normally in Europe the green is GROUNDING [aka equipment grounding conductor.

To confirm the above use a continuity tester.

Test for continuity from the green stripped wire to the metal casing of the light fixture. You should find continuity there but not inside the light sockets at all.

Test for continuity from the blue to the silver screw threads of the inside of the light socket. You should read continuity between that blue and the silver screw shell of hte light sockets. This blue wire should show no continuity to the center post inside the light socket or to the metal casing of the light.

Test for continuity from the brown and black wires. The brown should show continuity to the center post inside the light socket on about half the light sockets in my guess but show no continuity to the silver screw threads inside the light socket or to the metal casing of the light socket.

The black wire should show continuity to the other half of the center posts of hte light sockets but should not show any continuity to the silver screw threads of the light socket or the metal casing of the light socket.

If the above test theory is true, then you may install 120 volt bulbs in the light sockets and connect the blue wire of hte light fixuter to the white wire of the building wiring. Connect the green striped wire of the light fixture to the green or bare wire of the building wiring. Connect the brown and black wire to the hot conductor or conductors of the building wires.

If your light fixture is so big that it will pull more than a 20 amp branch circuit then you will need to install a 240 multiwire branch circuit with a 240 volt 20 amp double pole breaker using the white wire as a true neutral connected to the blue wire of the light fixture.

Be careful, don't take my word on the above. Do the continuity test to confirm that the blue is grounded [aka white USA] and the green stripe is the grounding [aka green or bare USE]

Know the test theory is correct identifying these conductor colors by performing the above discribed continuity testing for you safety.

Let us know how you come out.

Good Luck

Wg