dcsimg

PDA

View Full Version : DSC PC1555 telephone line trouble help

monitoringhelp
December 17th, 2004, 07:40 PM
I purchased a home ~1year ago with a ADT installed DSC PC1555 system. instead of using standard phone i signed up with a VOIP company for my home phone service. We rarely use the secruity system but occasionally do. Last week the panel has had a trouble light telling me their is telephone line trouble. Correct me if i am wrong, but i believe the phone company has probably disconnected my phone line at the road. I do not have an issue with my phone since i am using VOIP, but the security system trouble light is lite, plus ever so often it will beep, usually in the middle of the night. It has also set off the alarm in the middle of the night.

After reading here and other place i could back feed my home phone wiring and possible removing the trouble light. I have a problem that my VOIP is in a room without a wall jack, so it will take some work to get to a phone jack. A wireless bridge is an option but now the phone system is getting complicated and reling on something that fluctuates.

Is there a way to keep the security system up without it hooked up to the phone system and not giving a trouble light?

Thanks
monitoringhelp

mdshunk
December 18th, 2004, 08:02 AM
I'll try to get someone else to answer this, but in the mean time try this:

Connect a 9 volt transistor radio battery to the red and green wires of the phone line entering the ADT unit. This will simulate the normal voltage present on a live phone line. This might be enough to fool the box. Some fancier models actually "listen" for dial tone. I'm not sure if yours does or not.

If no help, wait for others.

Jacksnap
December 18th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Thanks, md...

Your ADT control may still have limited dial tone. It is called EDT and allows the line to call 911 or the local telco. Your local telco usually will not disconnect a line totally because that requires manpower, so they punch a few PC keyboard buttons and your dial tone changes to an EDT dial tone since the CO (Central Offices) are mostly computerized switches (it also helps you get new service in minutes). Your ADT may still be seeing dial tone but when it tries to dial ADT, the EDT tone won't accept it. So, try to see if you can hook a phone up to it and check for dial tone. Don't dial 911 but try to make a local call and see if you get a local telco message. Also, about the location of your VOIP..., do you have a modem that it works off of? I ask because the VOIP tech should have feed the VOIP back to the local telco's box found on the outside of your home. That way your existine inside wiring is used as if you were with the local telco. Let me know. Thanks.
Jack) retired telco

monitoringhelp
December 19th, 2004, 06:55 AM
I hooked up a phone to the house telephone system, it is a cordless so I am wondering if that is a good test. I tried a local number with no results. No dial tone or sound at all coming from the wireless phone.

The VOIP technician was myself. I did not run a wire out to the box because i did not foresee this problem with the security system and have a wireless phone so the location of the base unit does not really matter. I hate to put another hole through the outside of the house.

I tried a 9 volt battery. The trouble light did not go off. There were more than the red and green wires hooked up to the telephone section of the system.

I will go get a phone cord long enough to reach the nearest wall jack to backfeed the house today and see if that fixes the issue.

I adding some pictures to help. I thought this house had DSL, is it come to the house by cable? As the picture shows on the right?

To disconnect the telco from the house all i have to do is unplug the jack?

The secruity system decides to beep at 12:30am each night and continues until someone pushes buttons on one of the keypads. This is getting old quickly.

Thanks for the help.

monitoringhelp
December 19th, 2004, 10:36 AM
I am pretty sure this doesn't exsist but I have to ask.

Is there a wireless phone system that could solve my problem of hooking up the house wiring? Lets say it has 2 basestations, each plugged into the wall with one having phone service and transfering it to the other.

I looked a little harder at the telephone wiring in my house and pictures. Looks like the quad wiring goes directly to my secruity system and the cat wiring is what goes to the house plugs. What confuses me is that the house tel wiring looks like it is connected directly to the teleco side. There is no quick disconnect for the house, just for the security system.

The house outlets use the blue-white-orange pairs. From box I do not see how these are connected to the teleco? The brown-green-white were used for DSL. The brown-green-white go outside an outlet to another outlet labeled "data" in a room where i kinda remember the previous owners having a desk.

To me this seems to make things worse, since they are independent wiring runs, if i backfeed the house it won't help the security system.

Monitoringhelp

Jacksnap
December 19th, 2004, 07:23 PM
I think your observations are correct. Looks like (although I can't tell for sure from just looking) the white/blue & blue white are wired directly to the yellow & black. This translates to the primary telco 'line in' being wired as a second line in the house. Then it also looks like the green red may be going to your alarm.
To disconnect the telco from the house all i have to do is unplug the jack? Yes. Whether it disconnects from the phone jacks or the alarm system, you'll have to figure out. You will also have to cut the yellow & black to disconnect the oppsite. At that point, you have no tie to the alarm or jacks. You can also plug an RJ-11 from a phone in here to see if there is dial tone (EDT). Cordless phone ok if plugged into AC)
What is throwing me off is the white/orange & orange/white should be line 2 from the telco but it is coiled up (going nowhere). The greens would be the third line, if there was one. Any way, breaking the connection of the red, green, black and yellow to the inside of your house will cut any telco service to the alarm. Or what would seem easier to me would be disconnecting any UTP (telephone wire) at the alarm and leave the demarc/interface alone. Also, it looks like you have two cable interface boxes (different cable companies?) the newer box on the right is not hooked up to your inside. The loder box is closed, but if you have cable TV and/or broadband for internet access, then it is the supply. DSL does not come over the cable. DSL comes over your regular telephone line using the same line for telephone and internet 99% of the time. So, if you have DSL it's coming through the telco demarc/interface. I doubt that you can have VOIP over DSL but that's not my forte'. My guess is that the ADT system is still going to signal a problem. An alarm person I am not.
Good luck and keep us informed of your progress. Interesting.
Jack

mdshunk
December 19th, 2004, 07:45 PM
The red, green, yellow, black cable obviously goes to the alarm system. The red and green go to the alarm, and the yellow black pair is that same line coming back from the alarm. The alarm system has a "line seizure module" that knocks you off the phone to make it's call. The line coming back from the alarm system on yellow black is connected with the dolphins to the blue white pair going to the rest of the house. If you backfeed a jack somewhere in the house, it will be going back to the alarm on yellow black. The alarm system wants dial tone on red green. You need to backfeed the red green with dialtone right at the demarc to shut up the alarm system.

monitoringhelp
December 20th, 2004, 06:27 AM
I think we have it figured out.

red green goes to the alarm
yellow-black = blue-white is the house primary
orange-white goes to the house
breen-brown-white = DSL(not using,previous owners)
other ccable box labeled bellsouth(didn't knwo they had cable)
lower box is my cable

I am wondering if the red-green is wired to the yellow-black somewhere, making the blue-white the primary. Especially since i do not see where the yellow-black or the blue-white is connected to the teleco.

If those 3 sets are wired togther I should be able to unplug at the box and backfeed an outlet and everything should be good?

My next question is that if they are not wired together somewhere, would it hurt to wire them all togther?

My object is to get the secruity system so that it thinks that it is connected to a phone line. I believe this will fix its trouble light. Getting woken up at 12:30 each night is getting old.

monitoringhelp
December 20th, 2004, 06:33 AM
I wrote the previous post first. Your answer is what i was hoping was happening.

Instead of running a cable out to the box, can i unplug at the box, hook the red-green to the yellow-black, blue-white at the box and backfeed an outlet?

Could i wire them together at the security box? This would be very easy, then i could unhook at the box and backfeed an outlet.

What colors need to be wired together?

suemarkp
December 20th, 2004, 02:31 PM
This has gotten long and off the track enough that we may want to go back to your original question. Do you have a monitoring service for your alarm? If not, having it on a phone line adds no value. I would hope there is a way to tell this alarm that you are not on a phone line and to not raise a trouble alert when it senses the line has been cut (or turned off). My alarm has a human text interface where you can turn things like this on and off. This system may require someone with a programmer to turn this feature off (which means take it off the wall and to an alarm store where this can be done, assuming you own the alarm). Hopefully, there is a menu or magic sequence you can type to tell it you are not connected to a phone. This may require the master password which I hope you have.

Jacksnap
December 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Do you have this manual? Refer to section 5; TLM.
http://www.safetechalarms.com/2429r1.pdf
Also, Installation manual link below.
http://www.mainelectronics.com/pdf/PC1555Install.pdf

monitoringhelp
December 20th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Previous owner purchases the system, but we have not had it monitored.

Yes, having a phone line to the system is of no benefit. But if i can backfeed the house and fix the secruity system at the same time, then great.

I have a manual off the internet but it is not detailed.

I have tried to get help from ADT, with no success.

If i knew how to shut off that part off the system that would be great.

monitoringhelp
December 20th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Is there a way to program the TLM options from the keypad?

Jacksnap
December 20th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Is there a way to program the TLM options from the keypad? Probably, but unless you can find the instructions in those 2 links I supplied, I can't help.

Suggest that you take Marks suggestion and take the control panel to someone doing alarm business. Other alternative is to do what md said The alarm system wants dial tone on red green. You need to backfeed the red green with dialtone right at the demarc to shut up the alarm system. and get your VOIP dial tone out to the demarc and connect it to the red and green wires (remove from the screw posts).
Jack

monitoringhelp
December 20th, 2004, 05:22 PM
At this point, the quickest and the cheapest would be to backfeed the system and later try to find someone to program it. I will look through the manuals tomorrow when i can print it out.

I would like to wire them together at the security panel and disconnect the plug outside.

At the security panel i have the quad wiring. Which wires should be wired together, red to black and green to yellow?

Thanks
monitoringhelp

Jacksnap
December 20th, 2004, 05:56 PM
I would like to wire them together at the security panel and disconnect the plug outside.

At the security panel i have the quad wiring. Which wires should be wired together, red to black and green to yellow?
I'm not up on alarms but I believe your alarm control panel just wants a dial tone on the red and green wire. If your alarm was monitored, then you would want to loop back from the alarm control panel, but your's is not monitored.
Your alarm control panel just wants a dial tone. It's not going to do anything with it except make it 'happy' . Just need to get dial tone on the red and green feeding the alarm panel.

monitoringhelp
December 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
This is what I did after reading the posts:

At the security panel wired togehter the red to yellow and green to black. See photo. Yes it is ugly but i wanted to make it obvious to the next person.

Went outside and unpluged the jack from the teleco box.

Plug a phone line from the VOIP adapter to a wall outlet. This is real pretty since there is no phone outlet in the room with the VOIP adapter. It might not be too hard to add one to the room because the one i am using now is on a shared wall with the VOIP adapter room, of course on the opposite side of the room. I could run it outside to the box but i hate to put holes in the exterior of the house and have another cable running along the wall.

Waited for a couple of seconds and the trouble light on the security system went out.

Plugged a phone into an outlet and got a dial tone, made a call with no problems.

A plus might be that the security system may beep when the internet connection is down.

Thanks for the help
Monitoringhelp

Jacksnap
December 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
Sounds like you have it!

You can call out and, if you can recieve calls OK, you can address the aesthetics of the wiring later.

mdshunk
December 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM
Glad you have that worked out. Now you can sleep in peace. Don't forget to send 19.99 to JackSnap's retirement fund for his expert advice! :D

Unregistered
December 25th, 2004, 08:05 PM
You can go to www.dscgrp.com and download a users manual for this system.

The master / installer code may very well be 1555..........same as the model number of the alarm if it has not beeen reset.

You can always turn off the communicator in the alarm panel...the instructions should explain.

If memory serves me..........there is a way to short two wires on the alarm circuit board and restore factory defaults to the alrm panel.

Hopes this helps.......anlong with the others.

George

Unregistered
December 25th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Restoring factory defaults...........now that you have a copy of the manual for reference to reprogram.

I would DEFINITELY try using 1555 as the installer code before esetting the alarm.

The TLM (trouble line monitor) is in section 015 of the programming and it can be disabled here.

Turn it off and no monitoring of the telephone will occur....no more trouble light.

To reset to factory defaults:

Remove AC from alarm
Remove battery from alarm
Remove all wires from the "ZONE 1" and "PGM 1" terminals
With a piece of wire, short terminal Zone 1 to terminal PGM 1
Apply AC power to the main panel
When Zone 1 is lit on the keypad, the factory default is complete

Remove AC from panel
Remove short wire
Reconnect all wires to proper teminals
Reconnect AC power
Reconnect battery

Jacksnap
December 26th, 2004, 12:56 PM
You can go to www.dscgrp.com and download a users manual for this system. The link does not work. :confused:

Unregistered
December 26th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Sorry about the bad link. I was thinking of the old one.

The new site is www.dsc.com

George

tone100
January 3rd, 2005, 11:14 PM
If you can't get it figured out go to http://forum.homesecuritystore.com. They should be able to help you. They walked me through installing my whole dsc system.
________
Live Sex Webshows (http://livesexwebshows.com/)