dcsimg

PDA

View Full Version : Briggs and stratton 313777 16.5hp enging runs rough

slpdave
May 22nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
My mower is several years old. It has been a real workhorse. I tried to start it and the fuel lines were cracked, the battery was dead. I replaced the battery, It has new fuel in it (I drained the fuel out before winter), new fuel lines, a new fuel filter. The Air cleaner is not terribly dirty. The plastic choke on the carberator is busted but it starts easy, and idles smoothly.

When I run up the throttle, the engine surges. It does not die, and is usable. I can still adjust the choke by hand and I am fine with that. But the surging bothers me.

So in a nutshell at high rev's the engine surges, new fuel, fuel filter, air filter is not too dirty (acts the same with it on or off). The governor plate has never had to be adjusted and it is exactly where the owners manual says it should be. It does smoke a little bit of white smoke, but just a little. I have also changed the oil and oil filter.

Any other Ideas? I have limited tools but I am not afraid to use what I have.

Thanks,
David

suemarkp
May 22nd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Could it be ignition and not fuel? If the fuel lines were cracked, perhaps an ignition wire is too. Run it at night and see if you see any arcs coming off the plug wire.

MJ CORMIER
May 23rd, 2009, 02:38 AM
I would suggest a carb clean or overhaul, it's not a good idea to drain the fuel as any orings etc will dry and crack, use fuel stabilizer when storing, if I knew what carb was on it I could guide you through it. It's 6:30 am here and I'M GOING FISHIN back Sun PM

slpdave
May 23rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
I was working on it after dark list night, I didn't notice any sparks. I will check that tonight. I will get the info off of the engine and post it on here for everyone to see the full deal.

thanks for the reply!

slpdave
May 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
OK. I used the mower today, it still is running like crap. But it works. The plate on the engine says 3 things:

Model - 313777
Type - 0163-e5
Code - 010529zd

Here are some pictures of the carb from Photobucket.

In this picture you can see what I think is the float. if I put a small screwdriver in the hold where the selenoid goes the float does not move and I feel no tension at all. If I take my finger and move the float up, the fuel stops flowing into the bowl. I suspect the float is not moving and allowing too much gas into the engine.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/slpdave/0523091125.jpg

In this picture you see the Carb bowl with the selenoid attached. The selenoid does move when power is applied.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/slpdave/0523091124.jpg

This picture is the engine cover with the information plate on it.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc202/slpdave/0523091049.jpg

Also there is a puff of white smoke that coincides with surge of the engine.

Wgoodrich
May 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
I suspect two post under different names on same engine problem being dual posts.

I also suspect condensation in gas over winter. This being the first time the engine has run this spring over winter storage. Drain gas tank thoroughly, pour in new gas, run engine till water in gas tank cleans out. One tank and your problem should disappear.

Just my opinion

Wg

wannabe
May 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
I would suggest overhauling the carburator and adding 2-3 oz's of fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank. This will help in absorbing the water back into the gasoline/alcohol mixed gas we have now.

slpdave
May 23rd, 2009, 06:39 PM
I suspect two post under different names on same engine problem being dual posts.

I also suspect condensation in gas over winter. This being the first time the engine has run this spring over winter storage. Drain gas tank thoroughly, pour in new gas, run engine till water in gas tank cleans out. One tank and your problem should disappear.

Just my opinion

Wg

The tank was dry over the winter (it was only parked for 2 months though, winters are short in east tennessee. The mower ran out of Gas before I parked it. It wasn't intentional to store it empty but that is what happened. I have ran a tank of new gas through it trying to remove any water that may have condensed in the lines. It seems that the mower is using more gas than it was last year also, but I don't have any way to measure what I used last year so it is a gut feeling.

Also, This is the first post I have ever made on this forum. I was a member over at www.explorerforums.com for several years when I had my Ford Explorer (If you drive an Explorer or a "clone" check them out)..

Wannabe wrote this.

I would suggest overhauling the carburator and adding 2-3 oz's of fuel injector cleaner to the gas tank. This will help in absorbing the water back into the gasoline/alcohol mixed gas we have now.

I wrote this.

I am in agreement with you about the carb overhaul. MJ CORMIER also suspects the carb. I hadn't thought of adding any fuel injection cleaner to it...Good call, I will do that.

Is there a good online retailer to get a rebuild kit through? This is virgin territory for me since I have never rebuilt a carb of any kind.

Thanks again for the reply's

wannabe
May 23rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
there are several good on line parts lookup sites. You will need your model, type, and code for getting the correct parts,

this is why you keep seeing me ask for the model and serial numbers from the engine(s) in question.

Wgoodrich
May 24th, 2009, 07:50 AM
If your carberator has a fuel adjustment screw at the bottom of the bowl try adjusting it in and out 1/4 turn to see if it affects the surging. If no adjustment screw at the bottom of the bowl pull out the bolt dropping the bowl. Clean any holes both big and small in the side of that hollow bolt then clean our the carb bowl. Put the bowl and screw back in and try again.

The gas you are using was it stored for a long time ? If so go buy new gas. If you are using new gas from a filling station that does not sell a lot of gas go to a new gas station with lots of business selling gas trying to get more fresh can of gas. Gas today will separate over time causing what you discribe.

Running your engine out of gas often sucks granuals from the tank through your carb plugging those holes in the bowl bolt I discribed above.

Good Luck

Wg

slpdave
May 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM
There is no adjustment screw however there is a screw in the side of the "hollow screw" that the solenoid goes into. I will clean out anything else I haven't (I already cleaned the bowl, the solenoid is what holds the bowl on the carb). The gas I am using is only 2 weeks old, it runs in my push mower like a champ and I buy it at the same station I buy gas for my car which is a fairly busy station. I will try the cleaning up all things carb related. I also will take the last gallon of the fuel in the tank and mix oil with it for my trimmer and get fresh gas for the mower just in case. If cleaning and fuel conditioner doesn't help I think my next logical step is to rebuild the carb.

I checked for sparks last night, no sparks from the ignition system.

MJ CORMIER
May 25th, 2009, 02:22 AM
spldave
Re carb, your pictures are key to this response, that is a cake walk fix, as wg mentioned the bolt which held the bowl on may have 1 or 2 tiny holes, you will have to look very closley, next you will have to remove the carb, look in the hole where the needle drops in, there you will find a tiny o-ring, there is a speacial tool for removing it but I have used a pocket screw driver,the ones with the little magnet on top, the new kit comes with a needle, seat and wire retainer, look carfully at the o-ring, you will find 1 side has a groove, that side MUST face down, now with the magnet side of your little screwdriver push the o-ring into place, when you put the float back on turn the carb upsde down and make shure it is sitting almost level, wg & I use a 4 ft level ( just kidding ) reinstall and your good to go. I normally pay about $4.00 for the kit. If you havent all ready put a new plug in it& if your up for it remvove shrould cover, clean coil and magnito, remove coil to clean it, when you reinstall the coil turn fly wheel until the magnets face forward, place a business card between the coil and fly wheel to set the gap, tighten coil and your good to MOW.
PS all can just refer to me as Mike:party:

slpdave
May 25th, 2009, 06:45 AM
$4 Where did you find it? The cheapest I found in my search was $21. This kit may be the wrong one though.

http://www.milfordpower.com/R10932_Briggs_Stratton_690191_Carburetor_Overhau_p/r10932.htm

Of course, I am a true novice. I have never had to buy anything more than fuel line or plugs for mowers.

MJ CORMIER
May 25th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Send me private e-mail, with your mailing adress, I will send you one, FREE, on behalf of the site members, what you are looking at in that photo is a possible this or that, I will need engine # reply asap.
Mike:dancing2:

slpdave
May 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I will send you a private message in a while.

The engine has 3 numbers on a plate which is riveted to it.

Model - 313777
Type - 0163-e5
Code - 010529zd

Is the engine # different?

MJ CORMIER
May 26th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Ok, got it, Ill mail today.

slpdave
May 26th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Mike, Thank You!

I am still interested in where I can find parts at a good price. I will pull the carb and clean it thoroughly in advance of the parts arrival.

BTW, Great Board.

I loved explorer forums, a few other boards I signed up with were awful. Selfhelpforums has the same "feel" as explorer forums (they use the same forum sofware) and are friendly also.

Thanks again.

David

MJ CORMIER
May 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
www.vickers-marketing.ca

Mike

slpdave
June 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Egads! The envelope has a hole! The parts are AWOL. If doing a thorough cleaning doesn't correct the problem then I'll order them from the site you gave above.

Thanks a million.
David

slpdave
June 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Cleaning the carb did it! There was something stuck in one of the little bitty ports inside the carb. I poked a paperclip into the port and then blew it out with my small air compressor. Initially air would not flow through the port but after a second air started flowing and after I poked every other port and blew the carb out really good it started humming like a new mower.

thanks for the inspiration and helpful comments. I have said it before and I'll say it again. GREAT BOARD!

Next target is my pressure washer and trimmer....but those may be other threads.

Thanks Again!
David

MJ CORMIER
June 8th, 2009, 02:37 AM
glad to see your up and running, I had mentined to my wife abut the missing parts, she said there is a chance that there was no return adress, the customs peple may have considered it to be some sort of ellicitt part, maybe for a weapon or what ever, the least they could have done was attach a note stating just that, but it is disappointing when a guy who trys to help end in this resolve. I do intend to pursue this further.
Mike

slpdave
June 8th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Pursue to you hearts content, I can even mail the envelope and baggie back to you if you wish as evidence.

BTW the help you gave me was invaluable. Now my son 3yrs old wants to ride the mower with daddy since he sat on my lap while I drove it up the alley to make sure it was O.K.

Thanks again.