dcsimg

PDA

View Full Version : whole house fan wiring?

Newguy
July 22nd, 2004, 07:52 PM
I got a Fasco C52 heat cycler/whole house fan, and we are getting rid of the old control, that was jury rigged.
we plan to run it off of a dimmer to control the speed.

Currently there is a Red/black/white/green wires in the motor box, and the wiring diagram on the fan is missing half of it, so i don't know which goes where. what i can read says for direct drive put the red and white to the black common, and green to ground

sorry if thats confusing, I set in a 120+ degree attic most of the day to get this thing hooked up lol
Thanks for any help
Newguy

6pack
July 22nd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Not familiar with this fan. Someone here maybe?
Did try WWW.fasco.com, they have a web sight that surely you,ll get your ans if no replys here. Be a bit concerned about using a dimmer to control. Check out that sight somewhere must be an e/mail helper. GL2U

Newguy
July 23rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Be a bit concerned about using a dimmer to control.

Thanks for your reply,
What control would you suggest?

The fan motor is only 120 volt.

The reason we chose this dimmer (http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=70761-000000539-S-600H-WH), was that it had the same hookup as what was there. but was flush mount.
I would use the old one but it had a seperate speed control, and nither were flush mount which is what we need , since we are replacing the walls and the electric and want a quality finished look
thanks for the link I will try the site, but have a feeling that they will be as familiar with the fan i am lol :)
I may have to hook it up till it works :eek:
thanks
Newguy

mdshunk
July 23rd, 2004, 03:07 PM
You can't (shouldn't) use a dimmer to control an inductive load like a motor. Only use a dimmer to control pure resistive loads like incandescent light bulbs. You'll toast the dimmer in timer for sure, and ruin the fan motor. No doubt about it.

Those speed controls that come with whole house fans are junk. I opt for a 3 way switch to switch between high and low speed, since a 3 way switch is really just a SPDT switch. Then, the output from that switch I run to a single pole switch for "on" and "off" function. Often, I use a "combination device" that has a 3 way and a single pole on one yoke for this purpose. Lasts forever in comparison to the flimsy little switches that come with whole house fans.

Newguy
July 23rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
humm thanks for the info on the dimmer will definitly go with something else.

do you happen to have a photo of what your describing?
i'll have a look at lowes tomorrow,

thanks
Newguy

Ohm1
July 23rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
For those who do not know: SPDT= Single pole double throw (It's a switch)

mdshunk
July 23rd, 2004, 06:54 PM
I forgot to mention that the white wire is neutral, the black the hot wire for low speed, and the red is the hot wire for high speed. The green is obviously ground.

Here's a pic of the device I spoke of. One half is a three way (to switch between high and low) and the other half is a single pole (for on and off function):

Newguy
July 24th, 2004, 12:16 PM
ok, i think i understand how to hook that up . How many wires are needed 12/3-wg? or 12/4-wg?

would the neutral be needed to be attached to the switch? or is it just the feed, the two hots and ground?
by looking at the device at the lowes.com site it looks like there is 1 screw on one side and two on the other

would the setup be like this http://img13.photobucket.com/albums/v37/rsawarhawk/House%20Photos/question.jpg

or am i mistaken?
and is a switch loop with power at fixture possible with this?

mdshunk
July 24th, 2004, 07:00 PM
You are very mistaken. Your setup would cause the sparks to fly. Here's the connection diagram for using a 3way/single pole combination device for control of a 2 speed house fan. Note that no neutral is required at the switch.

Newguy
July 25th, 2004, 10:25 AM
hehe after I thought about that photo i posted I realised it had to be very wrong :) I was thinking it was two seperate switches

Thanks for that very nice diagram , I'll be picking up that switch today or tomorrow
Newguy

6pack
July 26th, 2004, 03:54 PM
New guy, your thinking was right, it is two seperate switches(1 device) just had your wires crossed. GL

6pack
July 26th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Hey MD, one of those picky little items.(dont like em asked of myself) just wondering if sp is ID'd line /load, would this be in violation or some guy coming back saying it was wired wrong?? Just curious The old too hot of coffee lawsuit.(MAC'S)
Feed common side(s/p) then from load side to common on 3way.(split tab)

Picky, picky

mdshunk
July 26th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Hey MD, one of those picky little items.(dont like em asked of myself) just wondering if sp is ID'd line /load, would this be in violation or some guy coming back saying it was wired wrong?? Just curious The old too hot of coffee lawsuit.(MAC'S)
Feed common side(s/p) then from load side to common on 3way.(split tab)

Picky, picky

Oh, I suppose you could do it that way wannabee. It would be a dog-gone hard nosed inspector that would call you out on that one, I should think. I can't really say that single poles are identified "line" and "load". Certain conventions prevail, but I'm doubting whether they're hard and fast. I'll have to look it up in one of the UL books (just not sure which one).

6pack
July 27th, 2004, 01:05 AM
MD I know what your saying and would agree!!! Have to say did know an inspector who would have.(if marked so) But then he was that way with all installers. I also will take alook see next time around a center. Remember alot of those devices marked as such.

mdshunk
July 27th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I much prefer inspectors who used to be electricians over inspectors who used to be in school.