dcsimg

PDA

View Full Version : Electric panel height

RickND
August 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Folks,

Plan to attach a 200 amp elec panel to 3/4 plywood then attach the plywood to a metal Quonset hut.

My question is how LOW can the bottom portion of the elec panel be can placed from the ground?

Thanx!! in advance for any/all replies

Rick

scuba_dave
August 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
See this thread, can depend upon local Inspector
There has to be a 30" clear area around panel
I had a picture that showed this, but can't find it

http://www.selfhelpforums.com/showthread.php?t=12186&highlight=panel+height

See NEC 404.8(A) Location. All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.

Local inspector said that 6'7" is max, and "he'd like to see nothing below 4', but no rules dictating that". Ask your local inspector if you decide you want something other than these 2 heights.

RickND
August 20th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Dave,

Thanx!! for the reply

Called the electrician who will connect the power and he said I could place it 30'' above the ground.

Rick

Ohm1
August 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM
There has to be a 30" clear area around panel
This doesn't mean the panel has to be 30" above the floor.

joed
August 21st, 2007, 10:33 AM
The NEC has a maximum height. I don't think there is a minimum height, but why would you want it so low?

Ohm1
August 21st, 2007, 04:05 PM
This doesn't mean the panel has to be 30" above the floor.
:flowers::ciao:

scuba_dave
August 21st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Hmmmmm...I wasn't thinking someone would want to mount a panel that low

Hope you are not in a flood zone
I also think panels should be mounted out of kids reach
But then again in a home where someone is height challenged or is in a wheelchair not being able to mount a panel at a lower height would be a problem

I prefer to have them higher, if just to minimize the amount of wire up top to get to the panel

My utility room has a locking door knob. But I don't use it, probably just put a hook & eye on it to keep my son out of there when he gest a littleolder

RickND
August 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
Hey folks,

Reason for low height.

I installed the elec panel in a Quonset where I didnít foresee many children playing. However I figure a guy could construct a lock out device that would prevent youngsters from getting in but allow older folks to get in if needed.

The side walls (where I mounted the panel) begin to curve at 74".
Since I mounted the box to a 74" piece of plywood I figured it would be nice to have 10" or so above the box to attach/nail wires coming out the top.
Itís similar to the way the one in my house is set up and the state inspector looked at that one so I figured I'd be ok.

This is an exceptional site ... sure am glad I found it.

Rick

joed
August 22nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
I think I would mount it sideways in this case.

Wgoodrich
August 22nd, 2007, 08:35 AM
Joed, unless your panel is designed to be installed sideways you can not do this installation. The breaker is controlled same as a switch requiring the breaker to be up while in the on position. If sideways half your breakers would be down in the on position which would be in violation of the switch rule.

Just for info

Wg

scuba_dave
August 22nd, 2007, 08:48 AM
I have to think that a panle also has to be mounted on a flat surface that is not at a slant? Not on a slanted wall, you want one perpendicular to the floor

LarryP
August 22nd, 2007, 08:51 AM
In San Diego with SDG&E is is set so the meter reader can see it. I think it is 4' to 5' 6 " or something close to that.

Ohm1
August 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM
I think I would mount it sideways in this case.

Wow! Where this this come from!? Joe is just kidding!! :bike:

RickND
August 22nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Dave, ... FYI

The neat thing about this Quonset is the first 74" is strait up and down. She begins to curve after that.

Sounded like you thought she began to curve right away.

Rick

joed
August 23rd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Sideways install is done all the time here. I guess we don't have the same restriction of switches orientation. I was not kidding.

scuba_dave
August 23rd, 2007, 06:03 PM
I've never seen a Qunset that didn't slope right away, nice