PDA

View Full Version : Replace light switch with switch/receptacle

pll8on
June 10th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Currently in my switch box there are two cables entering. One contains a black and a white wire. The other cable contains a red wire/a black wire/ and a white wire. I am using a leviton switch/receptacle model 5225-ISP which has two black screws and the green screw on one side. The black screws are connected via a brass strip in the center. One of the black screws is marked "common" and that screw is beside the light switch. The other side of the switch has a brass screw and a silver screw. I assume the ground wire goes to the green screw. Do the black wires go to the brass screw and the silver screw? And does it matter which black goes to which screw? And does the red wire go to the "common" black screw? and do the whites just connect together inside the box?

Thought it best to ask rather than trial and error !!

Ohm1
June 10th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Was your old switch a 3-way switch, or was the switch made to switch only the load (light) from this location only.

pll8on
June 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
The switch was used only to turn on the bathroom light fixture.

househelper
June 10th, 2007, 09:39 AM
How was the old switch connected?

pll8on
June 10th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Two blacks to one screw (pigtailed together) and the red to the other screw.
The whites were combined together in the box with wiring connecter. Of course the ground wires to green terminal.

Ohm1
June 10th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Try the wiring digram below, and write me if you have questions. Note: You should have a wiring diagram included with your switch/recep combo-- should be on paper, if not on paper then it's in the lining of the box--inside).

Ohm1
June 10th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Heck I can barely see what I posted.

In a nut shell:

-Red wire goes to common
-Pigtail two pieces of blk conductor from the two blk wires:
Pigtail1= terminate to Blk screw below common screw
Pigtail2= terminate on brass screw

-Pigtail one piece of wht conductor from existing whites:
Pigtail 1= terminate to silver screw
**May have break tab between common and black screw next to recep

Done.

pll8on
June 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Your diagram was excellent. I was able to enlarge it. Your instructions were very clear. Will attempt connection after "wifey" finishes painting bathroom.

One question - Is this application of a single pole switch with grounding outlet a separate circuit hookup or a common feed hookup?

Paper defines: COMMON FEED as single-pole switch controls light only. Power outlet for grounded appliances. (Do not remove FIN)

SEPARATE FEED is a single-pole switch and power outlet on separate circuits. (break-off FIN or metal tab)

Thanks for the assistance,

Ohm1
June 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM
common.
Now if this is going in the bath room, then this changes things?

pll8on
June 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Yes, this new switch is planned to be installed in a bathroom.

Ohm1
June 11th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Then the receptacle would have to be GFI protected. They carry GFI/Switch combinations----Assuming your bathroom isn't currently GFCI protected<--and this will depend on the wiring setup!?

pll8on
June 12th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Glad you reminded me on the ground fault receptacle. I knew that.
I shall swap current switch combo for the GFI type. That you so much for
all the assistance OHM1.

Ohm1
June 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM
U are Welcome!