PDA

View Full Version : Yard faucet freeze prevention?

MachineMan
April 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM
What do you guys living in colder climates do to prevent your outdoor yard faucets from freezing? I have a place in the mountains and plan to run sch40 PVC underground to several exposed faucets. Temps get down to 20F regulary in the winter. Wrapping the exposed PVC pipe probably won't be enough so is there a special valve/faucet I can use?

Thanks.

suemarkp
April 27th, 2007, 07:24 PM
If these are verticles in the yard and not the faucets on the outside of your house you can do one of two things:

1. Run heat tape up the vcertical to keep it from freezing. This isn't ideal as it costs money for the power, the tape can fail, and if power fails the pipes break.

2. Feed these from underneath your house/cabin and put a drain and shutoff down there (need the drain below grade). In winter, close off the water supply to the outside and open the drain faucet. You'll probably have to go outside and open the yard drains to help it all drain out and you may even want to blow into the faucets with your mouth or compressed air to get most of the water out.

The plumbing for this in the basement would be:

water supply
|
v
ball valve
|
v
tee -> pipe to yard faucets
|
v
drain faucet

MachineMan
April 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM
My place is off grid so heat tape won't work. The water will be coming from a half burried tank so no basement, house not build yet. However I could put some shut-off valves in below grade boxes. The drain is a good idea also.

Are there faucets that the valve stem is a couple feet long so the actual valve portion could be below grade?
Which is better for freezing conditions, PVC ball valve or brass gate valve?

dznewz
April 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Use a lawn hydrant, like this: http://www.wcmind.com/Woodford/Yard_Hydrant_Pages/YrdHyd.htm

The valve is underground and there's a weep hole that drains back.

You see these a lot in public parks and the like.

suemarkp
April 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I've seen those but I didn't know they had a weep hole. Hopefully, the hole weeps only when the valve is turned off otherwise it would leak all the time.

MachineMan
April 30th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Use a lawn hydrant, like this: http://www.wcmind.com/Woodford/Yard_Hydrant_Pages/YrdHyd.htm

The valve is underground and there's a weep hole that drains back.

You see these a lot in public parks and the like.

Yep, thats what I'm looking for. Except there $200 a piece.. :s:

Wgoodrich
May 1st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Pay the price now or pay later with busted pipes you will have to redo.

Most often these outside hydrants are normally fed by a black plastic water line installed below the frost line. Then installing a tee to go on to the next hydrant and connect the tee to the hydrant at that location. The weep hole only weeps once you shut off the valve.

There are some valves that also bleed back like the water companies use that are buried below the frost line then a shut off by use of an octagon rod called a key rod sliding down a small pipe directly onto the buried valve inside a clay pipe container.

Just some ideas

Wg

dznewz
May 3rd, 2007, 04:41 PM
The weep hole drains the vertical pipe after the valve is closed. Opening the valve blocks the hole so that water doesn't squirt out underground when the valve is open.

I'm surprised at the price. I think I paid maybe 1/2 that, but it was 10 years ago.

dznewz
May 3rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
Pay the price now or pay later with busted pipes you will have to redo.Wg

Been there. Done that.

Digging up the pipe in the winter was a real pain.

suemarkp
May 6th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Here's a place where you can get the freeze proof yard hydrants much less expensively:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=107+770047&Ne=2

MachineMan
May 7th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Here's a place where you can get the freeze proof yard hydrants much less expensively:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?storeId=6970&N=107+770047&Ne=2

Yep, now were talk'n.. For $35 I think its a done deal.

Thanks.