PDA

View Full Version : GE profile fridge clicking sound

sennac5
February 9th, 2007, 06:02 AM
My S/S GE 22 cu.ft profile fridge (PDS22SBSLSS) is making a continuous clicking sound, but the compressor doenst come on. The clicking comes from the main board (on the back) :frown:

2 days ago, before the clicking, I lost the temp. display (which displays temp of both fridge/freezer)

Both freezer/fridge were cold when I noticed the clicking (when I woke up today).

Any ideas?

Denis

jeff1
February 9th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Hi,

fridge is making a continuous clicking sound, but the compressor doenst come on. The clicking comes from the main board (on the back)

Maybe a relay on the board kicking in and out....

PDS22SBSLSS

I only got close with the model#...
PDS22SBSALSS PDS22SBSARSS PDS22SBSBLSS PDS22SBSBRSS

http://www.repairclinic.com/dbimages/00000820/00248040.jpgMain control board (http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=1194711)

jeff.

sennac5
February 9th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Does this mean I need a new board?

I also called a refrig repairman I use for my apartments & without looking at it, he tells me it's probably the timer. Does this make sense?

Denis

sennac5
February 9th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Without looking at it yet, the service technician says it's most likely the board. This board has been replaced already in 2005, under warrantee.

Is it normal for a board to go out evey year? Also, could the compressor or fan cause this problem.

VERY dispapointed with GE Profile series... will NEVER buy again.

Denis

jeff1
February 11th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Does this mean I need a new board?

Likely yes.

I also called a refrig repairman I use for my apartments & without looking at it, he tells me it's probably the timer. Does this make sense?

Your refrigerator doesn't have a timer.

Is it normal for a board to go out evey year?

Normal no, has been happening yes.

Also, could the compressor or fan cause this problem.

Not normally.

VERY dispapointed with GE Profile series... will NEVER buy again

Friends don't let friends buy GE ;)

jeff.

dokken
June 24th, 2008, 09:23 AM
GE profile bottom freezer (model??)

1st off my Fan motor was wired incorrect from the factory; its a voltage controlled fan and it was wired to sink current from the control line instead of the high current source. I am sure this shortened the life of my ckt board, and probably the fan also.
Originally my fan ran very slowly. My ckt board has some components that apparently got hot enough to re-flow the solder and discolor a resistor.

if the fan moves a little when the relay clicks (as mine did) unplug the fridge, disconnect the fan at the connector at the bottom of the fridge, wait a few minutes then plug the fridge back in, give it >5 mins to start running, if it runs fine I suggest getting a ($6.00) 12v computer fan (connect to red and white wires) and sticking it back there and go on about your business. It could very well be that the original fan will work if you connect both the + and the control wire to the high side (+) wire from the ckt board (I'm gunna try that when I get home)

lol... you'll get a chuckle out of what GE offered... they will cover the board (because its a piece of crap) but I'm responsible for the service call and labor ... WTF???... it'd cost >$150.00 if I went that rout; they wont just send me a new board. you can get a replacement board online for $100.00 but as far as I'm concerned I already gave them enough ca$h for a crappy board and I'm stubborn as hell.

Fridges shouldn't quit after 16months
ltwta@hotmail.com

normmacneil
July 7th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I have a GE Profile bottom mount full door refrigerator purchased in July 2005.
Model PDS22SBSALSS
Serial MH040554

Last week got the same clicking noise others had reported. Called Sears (who I purchased it from); when the technician called me, he knew exactly what it was: the main board. Fortunately, that saved me the $70 initial diagnosis cost.

I dug through all the Googled articles and ended up calling GE US (I'm in Canada) and they gave me the number for Mabe, which is the GE Appliance in Canada: 800-361-3400. They confirmed that my model and serial were eligible under the "mainboard program" (?) but I would have to arrange the service call through Sears. I've called them back and gave them the whole story so we'll see how it goes. At the least, I have had both GE (US) and Mabe (GE Canada) confirm that my mainboard is covered both for parts and labor.

More updates as the story unfolds. Much thanks to all who provided information (such as phone numbers, etc.).

Update: Mabe is now saying there is no such program in Canada. I've called Mr. Zutterman (National Program Mgr, GE USA) as shown in one of the threads and he is attempting to track down who I need to escalate at Mabe to get this covered.

Bob-tech
July 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Is there a consistant frequency to this clicking sound?
Or is it random?
And what is the problem with the fridge? Is it not getting cold?
Is the feezer warm...fridge cold??

I'm only asking because I recently had company over and while we were all sitting in the kitchen one of my guests said my fridge was making a clicking, or ticking sound....
But the fridge was in defrost mode and the ice on the evaporator was cracking off, and falling into the tray below.
It kind of sounds like a clicking....I guess...but I'm very familiar with the sounds my GE-Profile makes.....only because of the years of issues.

pmac
July 16th, 2008, 08:12 AM
To normmacneil
Very interested to find out details of how you made out with Mabe. Did you get them to cover both parts and labour? Do you have any contact details in case we have to go the same route? We are having the same clicking noise and now the fridge is not cooling.